We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish & Chips in Belfast

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Fish & Chips in Belfast

Hi

I'm planning a day trip to Belfast on Saturday and want a recommendation for an authentic Belfast Fish & Chips meal.

If there is a such thing as gourmet Fish & Chips I would like to try that as well.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

There are a few good chippies in the city, the best one would be at St Georges Market . It is called The plaice

Edited: 31 December 2012, 08:37
Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

I would say fish and chips is more of an English tradition than a Northern Irish one but we do have our fair share of "chippies" (as we call fish and chip shops). Some argue that Longs on Athol Street is the best in the city but I was personally underwhelmed when I tried them, plus its location is a little tricky to find if you're not familiar with the city. I'll admit I've never heard of The Plaice at St George's (has Brown's changed its name again, Bobby, or is it a different place?) but there is definitely a fish and chip shop there anyway regardless of its name, which my other half (who works nearby) tells me is nice. Plus, since you're there on a Saturday, you could have a look around St George's market too - lovely way to spend some time.

However my favourite "fish and chips" (which would more come under your gourmet option) is from Made in Belfast, a quirky and gorgeous restaurant beside the City Hall. They have their Christmas menu on their website at the moment but hopefully they'll go back to their usual menu in the new year. Their lunch menu includes (or at least used to) a Sustainable Fish Finger Sandwich with homemade chips, and it is absolutely delicious.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

Bobby and Bridget - it's changed its name (again) - it's now known as "Simply Fish & Chips".

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

If you are looking for fancy Fish and Chips try Deanes Deli on Bedford Street behind the City Hall. The fish and chips are gorgeous served with home made tartar sauce and mushy peas - yum scrum.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

Ask for a pastie supper for a more authentic experience.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

Lol pasties, bleurgh! Think I'm the only person who doesn't like them. Oh and it's not a pasty like a British pasty either, just in case you're wondering :-)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

Bishops in Shaftesbury Sq. does pretty good fish & chips, though "gourmet" would be really pushing it:)

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

And we will never know why the smell of someone elses fish n chips always beats any you could buy yourself lol.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

In my humble opinion, 'gourmet' fish and chips should just mean great fish & chips. It is what is - decent honest and incredibly tasty food when cooked properly with fresh cod and good spuds, and it doesn't need poncing about with. Loads of vinegar is vital, obviously. Mushy peas, optional. Personally I think a bit of coleslaw/salad on the side is perfect.

King's on the Ormeau Road is probably your best bet in Belfast. If you want perfection, though, and a beautiful scenic outing sometime, you must head to The Galley in Annalong, a short and gorgeous drive beyond the lovely Newcastle. Charming little place to sit-in or takeaway. They've won best in Northern Ireland in years past and the staff are as friendly as they come. Go and try the jumbo cod but do not leave without also trying the scampi. Fish and chippy godliness.

10. Re: Fish & Chips in Belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:19