We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

Hello - I have recently lost my passport which had my working holiday visa in it. I've sent it off to be processed however, its going to take at least 6 months to get back.

I am just wondering if I am travelling from Belfast to Dublin and back, do I need a passport? Would my overseas drivers licence work? I have booked accommodation and everything for this but aren't sure they'll let me past the border!

Many thanks.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

We've had this debate in the past on here and I think the consensus was that you should be ok without a passport (certainly I've never been asked for one between Dublin and Belfast) as there is no border control between the two countries and in fact you'd hardly know you were going from one country to the other.

However civilians on a travel forum aren't really the best people to ask. If (God forbid) you had any problems, we can't be responsible for giving you the wrong information. I would check with the Irish Naturalisation &

Immigration Service to be on the safe side. Their website might be useful:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

6 months? Seriously? I find that difficult to believe if it is a case of re-issuing an existing one. Have you a copy saved anywhere?

The bottom line is that occasionally the Gardaí will do checks on public transport going across the border. I had heard this and it happened to me once when I was on the bus going from Belfast to Dublin airport. We all had to show our passports. I have been on that bus several times and it only happened once but occasionally they will do it.

As BridgetJones says, we aren't the best people to ask though.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

If you drive you won't be stopped at all as there is no control. If you go by train or especially bus, there is a fair chance the bus might be stopped. You will then be asked to prove your national identity. Even a copy of your passport might be satisfactory, but it depends on what your nationality is and if you would need a visa to enter the Republic of Ireland as a tourist or not.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

Yes 6 months!! I couldn't believe it either but thats how far behind they are with processing at the moment. A good lesson learnt in keeping my passport safe from now on.

Thanks for the info.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

Your overseas driving licence doesn't prove squat and you may need UK/EU issued ID to travel to Ireland.

One possible solution is to change your non-UK driving licence to a UK one as that is accepted by most airlines (a certain low costs Ireland based one excepted) as suitable ID. But whether you need to provide your passport also...

https:/…exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

Alanrow - There are no airlines flying between Belfast and Dublin!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

So what would a local without a passport do? They have the right to travel between the two countries without one, and may not have a driving licence.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

I travel regularly from Belfast to the south and only carry my UK driving Licence and have never been asked for my passport.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

UK residents do not need a passport to travel to Ireland, driving a car it would be unusual to be stopped but sometimes checks are carried out on trains and buses, the point here surely is that OP says they are not a UK resident, but they have omitted to say what nationality they are.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NON UK resident going from Belfast to Dublin

"So what would a local without a passport do? They have the right to travel between the two countries without one, and may not have a driving licence."

Yes they have the right, but they might need to prove this right. Sadly it does come down to racial discrimination. If you look and speak with a local accident there isn't a problem. However I have a friend who lives in Northern Ireland, a UK citizen with a Northern Irish father and an Asian mother. Since he has not spent all his life in Northern Ireland he does not speak with a local accent. He has had problems with the Guards when travelling south.