We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Antrim trip

England
Level Contributor
181 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for Antrim trip

Hi Everyone

I know I'm posting in the Belfast forum but I thought you guys would be wise and I'd get more views this way :)

I'm planning a solo trip Friday- Monday in March, mainly to visit family in Ballymoney. I'll be hiring a car. I've been to Belfast a few times before so this time I am considering doing a countryside only trip.

I'm just looking for some general suggestions really. I like history, beautiful views, waterfalls etc. One day I will proabably go to the spa at Galgorm as have been there once before and it was fantastic.

I'm sure I remember seeing a leaflet for some sort of railway tourist route (where the train goes right by the coast, maybe passes the Mussenden temple, that sort of thing). I thought this may be a nice thing to do with my relatives (they are elderly) so if anyone has any more information about that it would be helpful.

I'd also consider staying somewhere else on the way for one night. I'm flying into the international airport but prepared to detour a bit- that's kind of the point of having the car.

Also, is this a good time to visit Rathlin? and what could I do there by myself? Cycling maybe? It would be great to see the birds too.

Thanks everyone- I know there's a lot of questions!

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for Antrim trip

Hi

I would think the railway trip that you are talking about is the Coleraine to Londonderry line, which is very beautiful, but unfortunately, if you are coming in March, I don't think you will be able to do it this time. The line is at present closed for upgrading and won't be open again until April as far as I know.

It's a pity you'll miss it, because it really is very beautiful, but maybe next time.

Yvonne

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for Antrim trip

I would stay 1 night in the Heart of the Glens in Cushendall, I have stayed a few nights in The Meadows B&B and find its a great location to explore the glens from, 5min stunning drive and you have Glenariff forest park, Cross the road for a night cap in the boat club with some great views, or stroll into the town for a great weekend night with pleanty of music and craic at Joe's

cushendall.info/foodanddrink/sailingclub.htm http://www.themeadowscushendall.com/

The Galgorm is a good shout for a wee splurge.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for Antrim trip

It's really a bit early for rathlin. The Rspb sanctuary doesn't open until April and puffin season is may - july. (mid july from memory).

Glenariff forest park is good for the waterfall walk. Also lots of other waterfalls around the glens. There is a good brochure/pdf file called Heart of the glens (i think) on moyle tourism website. I have posted a link to it elsewhere but am using mobile at the moment and am a bit clueless!!

Edited: 28 January 2013, 23:19
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for Antrim trip

This might be the site Ponaire recommends

http://www.moyle-council.org/tourism/

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for Antrim trip

It is indeed. Thanks Bobby!

Yes I do love the thought of that Galgorm spa splurge also:)

England
Level Contributor
181 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for Antrim trip

Thanks everyone for the advice! Shame about Rathlin and the railway but I don't think I can wait any longer to take a trip- lol. I just hope the weather is kind :)

7. Re: Advice for Antrim trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:18