We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
155 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

Needing to take some kind of transport from Belfast to Glasgow, I just want to know if I'm reading this right:

I looked up the Stena ferry from Belfast to Cairnyan (sp?) on Saturday, April 21. It was 30 GPB. And you still need to get yourself to the ferry terminal, and from Cairnyan to Glasgow.

Then I looked up Citylink bus. They pick you up in central Belfast (Europabus Centre) and deliver you to the Buchanan Bus Station in Glasgow (I assume a bus takes you to the ferry, then another picks you up at the other end). It was also about 30 GPB. (But includes getting you to and from the ferry terminals)

Am I missing something? Mis-reading something? We're in no hurry and dislike flying if not necessary, so the slow way works for us....

Just wondering why the Citylink would be substantially cheaper overall.

Thanks!

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

NO the bus is cheep, but so is the train check with the travel center in the bus station, The last time i went in with 2 guests the girl told us to book on the train as it was cheeper.and it was an apex fare

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

Nope you're not missing anything. Sometimes you can get a foot passenger fare as cheap as £12 on Stena, but sometimes, as you've found out, it is more expensive. When I go to Scotland on the ferry I usually use Eurolines because, as you say, it includes travel at the other end. For 21 April (which is a Sunday actually, not a Saturday) they're offering a £27 single from Belfast Europa bus station to Glasgow via the ferry (+£4 booking fee). So it's much the same as Stena are quoting for just the foot passenger fee. I've heard others say the Rail and Sail option Stena offer worked out cheaply for them, but personally I've always found the bus cheaper. Worth checking though.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

The snag about using ferry plus train is that one has to get to the Stena terminal in Belfast then, once disembarked at Loch Ryan port, transfer to the railway station some miles away in Stranraer.

Even if it costs a few pounds more, the Ulsterbus/Citylink service is much easier.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 15:25
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

You can fly for £23.24 if booked now plus luggage plus bus to and from the airports of course.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

If you use Rail Sail you join the train at Ayr not Stranraer. It's seamless and hardly a snag though not as pleasant as it was previously taking the train from Stranraer.

6. Re: Getting from Belfast to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 07:15