We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide on a hotel

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Can't decide on a hotel

I plan on visiting Belfast for the May bank holiday. I can't decide between Dukesat Queens, Benedicts or Tara Lodge. They.ve all got really good reviews and are similarly priced. Perhaps a native of Belfast would know best?

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

Tara lodge would get my vote its got free parking also it would be more peaceful than the other two as there is no bar. 2 mins and your ln Botanic Ave full of bars and food places.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

See I'm the opposite. I like modern hotels more than B&Bs and I like things like coffee shops, restaurants, bars, etc to be right on the doorstep, and I also appreciate being right on a main public transport route. My personal order of preference would probably be Dukes, Benedicts then Tara Lodge. But again it is a personal preference thing. They're all in a similar area so it's not like any option has any great disadvantage over the other, except for Tara Lodge having free parking where the others don't. I'd go with price and whichever I liked the look of best/had the best reviews. That said I'd probably prefer to stay somewhere more central overall if I was just sightseeeing; the Queens area is great and it's close enough to the city centre that it doesn't mean a lot of inconvenience getting there/back, but there's something to be said for not worrying about a 20 minute walk back from dinner/a night out. Just my 2 cents though.

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

Hello Geraldine,

Stayed in the Tara lodge and it was great. Good location for bars ,and food. Short walk into town. Breakfast was also top class.

Regards,

Supervanman

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

The tri is a present for someone for a special bday. Tara Lodge sounds lovely and a favourite by many.However think as it's a bday that needs to be marked well Id prefer to go to a hotel Dukes at Queens looks lovely. I ddn't realise its far from the centre. Is it served by a good bus? Has anyone experience of Benedicts? I really appreciate everyone taking the It's really only through hearing people's experience you can decide

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

There are regular buses from the Queens area to the city centre, either from Botanic Avenue or from University Road, which runs parallel.

Obviously with living here I haven't stayed in any of the hotels and can only go on the area they're in, but I can say that I like Benedicts on a Sunday afternoon for their carvery and traditional music session. Can't speak as to their hotel rooms etc though, but then again that's what reviews section is for :-)

Belfast
Level Contributor
510 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

Benedicts has a lively party crowd at weekends. Not necessarily a bad thing and I don't know if noise from bar travels to rooms but might be a factor depending on your age group and who you're travelling with.

Belfast
Level Contributor
127 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

When my American family stayed in Benedicts they were vicously beaten by the door staff so be warey if you want to stay there!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

Right... never heard anything of the sort before. Not sure there's that much need to be wary to be honest.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

I know it's not on your list but I would highly highly recommend the Park Inn by Radisson. I stayed in it last week, staying in it this weekend and next weekend! Staff are excellent!

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't decide on a hotel

The park inn is good but dont take a room at the front, I got a deal they sell on ebay 2 nights b&b , I was awakened by bin lorrys at 6am on both mornings.

The street is so norrow with its high buildings it one large echo chamber.