We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland
Level Contributor
449 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Just spent the weekend in Belfast and even this morning at work colleagues said same as those who knew where we were going....

"Belfast !, why did you go there ?".

My reply was & will remain:

'Dont judge a book by its cover',

because we can't recommend it highly enough we loved it.

Dirt cheap flights, 35 minute flight (it can take me that long to get to work some days !) and the people are superb.

Loved the vibrant city centre, some great old bars loved the Titanic and also the MAC (great Andy Warhol exhibition on) but best of all was the sightseeing tour.

Some great sights & information about the City and it history & people but to see & learn about the Falls & Shankhill Roads areas was fascinating a must do by anyone who visits Belfast.

Locals so friendly & helpful anytime we looked slight confused deciding which way to turn someone offered help & suggestions.

Already planning a return to see Crumlin Gaol, Giants Causeway etc etc.

All in all while there may still be problems/issues, but Belfast people are rightly proud of what they are & what they have they are great people.

Looking forward to our return.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

So glad you had a nice time! I agree with the sentiment of not judging a book by its cover - as is usually the case with media coverage, it makes a better story to concentrate on the extreme few than the rest of us who are just getting on with life. Hope it's not long before you come back and see the rest of the place :-)

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
862 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Even now i guess Northern Ireland is still quite untapped (for most). But there are so many areas of beauty that (as you said) are easy to get to from the mainland with a short flight and a drive. The North Antrim Coast, The Fermanagh Lakelands, Lough Neagh, the year of Derry (2013) as UK city of culture. And a host of other nooks and crannies which even film makers have now caught on to (see Game of Thrones (season 3 just started woohoo!) And a very funny film starring Brendan Fraser (of The Mummy fame) filmed around Belfast and Downpatrick called Stand Off which I saw a few weeks ago). And yes, i guess we are a pretty welcoming bunch. Its only each other we fight with sometimes lol.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

I absolutely agree .

We went over for a short break and enjoyed every minute.

What an amazingly friendly city. Seemed to spend half my time chatting to complete strangers as if the were old friends.

I would recomend anybody to enjoy a short trip there.

Graham

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay! Really love to hear positive comments from visitors:) Great to hear you plan to make it up to the north coast next time!!

Edited: 02 April 2013, 16:34
west yorks
Level Contributor
645 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Also got back yesterday from an Easter break staying at the Tara lodge.

Had an excellent 3 nights away, loved Titanic museum and Paddy campbells taxi tour and had 3 really good meals out. Will do full report over next few days.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Its good to know you enjoyed your stay even with our archaic opening hrs at Easter, and you didn't need your boots ;)

horizon, on the subject of film i am hearing good things from visitors about Good Vibrations the story off the cathedral quarter's very own Lord Mayor Terri Hooley with the added bonus of the QFT.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Archaic?? Bobby, I was in a Dublin airport hotel where you could only have alcohol in the restsurant, not the bistro or buy at bistro and consume it in the hotel room!!! No, we couldn't understand the logic of that either...!!

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Ponaire i know, its a Dry day in the south, no pubs open, Stone age comes to mind

Edited: 02 April 2013, 21:12
Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
862 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

I used to buy vinyl from Good Vibrations way back in the 80s on Great Victoria St in Terrys shop. Probably a bit late in its heyday but i remember it well. I havent gotten around to seeing the movie yet (I went to another movie at the Dublin Rd cinema on Sunday and it was rubbish, wish id have chosen it instead). Its also showing at The Odeon at the Victoria Center. The movies got pretty good reviews on IMDB so thats a good sign. Maybe get to it by end of week Bobby.

Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
862 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belfast - Don't judge a book by its cover !.

Just announced today, Game of Thrones Season 4 will be filmed here. Part funded by Northern Ireland & European regional development: m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22010843