We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

antrim

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
antrim

How would I go about researching my grandparents birthplace in the county of Antrim. All I have is a birth certificate (my grandmother's) which says she is registered in in the district of Belfast 9?

Any help would be appreciated.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: antrim

I will try and post some useful links tomorrow (on mobile now). Belfast 9 would include the popular residential and shopping area around the Lisburn Road in Belfast.

If you know your parent's denomination (ideally actual church) church records are a very good starting point but it can take time. Proni keeps these. have a look at their website as it has a lot of very good information regarding genealogy and will give you pointers.

. Another good starting point are the online

census records for Ireland for 1911 and 1901. (think those dates are right).

Once you have some confirmed information, it may be worth subscribing to some of the well

Respected genealogy websites where you may be able to share information with others with connections to your family tree.

tespected

Edited: 08 April 2013, 23:07
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: antrim

You can check it up with PRONI.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/

That is possibly BT9 a postcode for Malone/ Stranmillis region

Ponaire i am a slow typer

Edited: 08 April 2013, 23:13
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: antrim

You might also get some help on Belfast Forum if you post a request with details

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php

Edited: 08 April 2013, 23:21
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: antrim

Postcodes were introduced in the late 1960s. Formerly addresses which would have been listed as Belfast 9 will now have the postcode commencing BT9. Fair chance you will still have relatives living in the area which is the suburbs on the south side of Belfast.

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: antrim

Details on birth certificate says she was registered in the District of Belfast No. 9 in the County of Antrim.

Address at birth - 56 Meadow Street Legoniel. I have no idea what Legoniel is? Is this perhaps a town? I have her mother & father's names as well as a neighbor's name who was present at birth. Bobby , do you think I should still post this on Belfast forum? Thanks again. Ponaire - no church listed.

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: antrim

P.S. the year was 1897

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: antrim

Yes post, some people have linked info and Meadow street has been searched before so someone may have it , it may have been renamed Legneva St. some time after 1901.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: antrim

Here's the link for the National Archives:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

I would definitely start with your information from 1897 and try that for the 1901 census..

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: antrim

She could well have been born in Belfast City Hospital which was founded in 1841 with the origins in a workhouse. The hospital is in postcode area BT9. Ligoniel is now a suburb in north a Belfast with the postcode BT14, but then it would have been a small village on the outskirts of the city.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: antrim

Yes I was wondering about the BT9 versus Ligoniel issue.. Hope the OP has success!!