We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on this itinery ( 2 nights/3 days)

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex, uk
Level Contributor
220 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on this itinery ( 2 nights/3 days)

Just looking at flights to Belfast and thinking of a 2 night/ 3 day trip. The flights arrive early morning on day 1 and leave evening on day 3. We have 2 children who would be 8 and 5.

Day 1 - I was thinking of the hop on hop off bus around the city, does anyone have recommendations of things to see?

Day 2 - hire a car and do giants causeway/carrick-a-rede rope bridge - possibly steam railway from bushmills?

Day 3 - Aunty Sandras candy shop tour and maybe Belfast castle.

Would like any cheap ish hotel recommendations with family rooms. Just want somewhere to sleep, nothing fancy needed.

Thank you!

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on this itinery ( 2 nights/3 days)

For your hotel try Premier inns at Alfred St, or Waring St, Travellodge, Jurys, or Ibis,

Your kids might like the Ulster Museum, and W5,

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on this itinery ( 2 nights/3 days)

Premier Inn might fit the bill? The one in Alfred Street definitely has family rooms.

The steam train at the Causeway is good but they don't always put the steam part on - sometimes it is more like a tram but is still a nice journey. Part of the walk from there to the actual Causeway is a bit uphill.

If weather is bad, W5 at the Odyssey might be an idea or even a side trip to Carrickfergus Castle (Belfast castle is more for the grounds).

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on this itinery ( 2 nights/3 days)

Sorry BobbyW - crossed posts!

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on this itinery ( 2 nights/3 days)

You itinerary sounds fun. I haven't been to Aunt Sandra's before but it gets good reviews. The suggestion of W5 is also a good one for kids at 5 and 8. I also like your plan to do the open top bus tour the first day. Most people do the whole circuit the first time to get a feel for the layout of the city and where the various attractions are, but if anything takes your fancy just hop off and hop on the next bus when you're done. I can't really suggest which stops would be more worthwhile than others without knowing more about your family and your interests, e.g. I would find the Titanic Experience and Crumlin Road Gaol interesting so I might hop off there, whereas I have zero interest (minus in fact) in peace walls and murals so I would stay on the bus at those stops, however other people would be completely the opposite. Have a look at the various stops (the route is on their website) and see if any of those places sound interesting to you.

Also re the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, I absolutely love it, but do be warned that it's quite a walk from the car park to the bridge. Also be sure you prepare the kids for what it is and reassure them they're perfectly safe - I've seen plenty of kids get to the point of going on to the bridge then completely freak out at the height above the water and have to squish past everyone in the queue on the steps down to the bridge to get back up again. No-one will resent such a reaction but it can upset the kids themselves... or indeed some adults, especially those with a fear of heights! One of my best friends got half way across, then panicked, gripped on to the sides for dear life and screamed - she was absolutely fine and glad she did it though - in fact we laugh about it (ok well, at her) now! Maybe show them a picture before you go so they know what to expect. They'll have an absolute ball at the Causeway anyway - such fun to climb on those stones!

Re Belfast Castle, you might know about it anyway but just in case you don't, there is also an adventure playground nearby, which the kids might find fun:

belfastcity.gov.uk/belfastcastle/adventurepl…

5. Re: Thoughts on this itinery ( 2 nights/3 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:17