We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast and Giant's Causeway in 3.5 days

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast and Giant's Causeway in 3.5 days

Hi all,

I've booked a last-minute trip to Belfast next Saturday 1st June to Tuesday 4th and I am looking for some advice on an intinerary.

I land at 10:30am on the Saturday and fly back at 17:30 on the Tuesday from City airport. I'd like to split my time between exploring the city and visiting Giant's Causeway and some of the surrounding area near to there.

I will have to take public transport to Giant's causeway as I haven't driven in a very long time! Can anyone advise on the best route to take and a rough cost? Once there is it possible to easily do other sights such as the rope bridge, Dunluce Castle etc without a car?

Currently I am thinking I will go straight to the coast after landing and be there for Sat and Sun, taking an early morning train/bus back to Belfast to spend the rest of the time there - does this seem the best option?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
8,602 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Dunluce Castle
Dunluce Castle
2,131 Reviews
Portrush, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast and Giant's Causeway in 3.5 days

You have 2 main options. Option 1 as above or option 2 - stay in Belfast and visit the Causeway as an organised day trip. I think option 1 would work well for you.

You're going at a good time of year as for much of the year, 1 is not an easy option. But during the summer months, the Causeway Rambler is on which gives you good access to the main tourist sites along the Causeway Coast. I would advise you to stay somewhere near the bus route. Portrush is probably your best option if you want a B&B?

translink.co.uk/Documents/Images/services/ot…

northcoastni.com/filestore/downloads/causewa…

A couple of useful websites for the area:

http://www.northcoastni.com/

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

From Belfast City, get the airport bus to the Europa bus station and from there your best bet is probably to take the train to Portrush (if you're staying there). Great Victoria Street Train station is in the same building as the Europa bus station. Otherwise, there are good bus and train connections to Coleraine and you can get a connecting bus to the town you're staying in.

Costs for transport are reasonable. £3.60 for your airport return ticket. Not sure of train but last time I got a Coleraine - Belfast day return it was £16 so a single would be less. Can't see the current price for the rambler either but there are contact details on the translink website so you can ring/e-mail them.

Mentioned in this post
Europa Hotel - Belfast
Europa Hotel - Belfast
4,752 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Portrush
Portrush
County Antrim, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast and Giant's Causeway in 3.5 days

Thanks so much. Really useful info!

3. Re: Belfast and Giant's Causeway in 3.5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 07:16