We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from City airport

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
train from City airport

We are coming into City airport on a Sunday evening. The flight lands at 17:00. The next airporter bus to Derry leaves at 17:15. I can't imagine we will be able to catch this one so that means waiting till 18:45. I don't really want to do this as we will already have been sitting around enough in airports.

How then is the best way to get the train from City airport? Or just the Translink bus? We will be very tired at this point in our travels and just anxious to get to our final destination in Derry.

Thanks in advance.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from City airport

Your best option is to get the number 600 bus from the Airport to the Europa Buscentre. However, I'm really strugggling to find the Sunday timetable for it on the Translink website at the moment - for some bizarre reason it says there are no Sunday services.

From the Europa, your best bet would then be to get the Goldline bus number 212 to Derry. The train would also be an option from Great Victoria Street station right beside the Europa Buscentre, but it takes longer than the bus, and the frequency on a Sunday isn't great.

If I can ever find the Sunday timetable for the 600 airport bus, I'll try to figure out the timings for you.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from City airport

Hi Darren - Thanks for helping.

I think I found the Sunday timetable and it looks equally unmanageable.

I think I found the Sunday timetable for the train also and it's just as bad!

My husband mentioned taking a taxi from the airport to the Antrim train station and getting on. If I've looked at things right, the train would depart Antrim at 17:57. Is this doable? Is this a short taxi journey? And I wonder about the fare........

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from City airport

Actually though, the Sunday timetable for the train between Belfast and Derry isn't ideal for your timings - you would have to be at Great Victoria Street by 17:20 or Central Station by 17:30, which isn't really very feasible, or else the next train isn't until 19:20. I actually think the best approach would be to take the airport bus to the Europa Bus Centre and then the 212 Goldiner bus to Derry. On the current timetable there's an airport bus on Sunday evenings at 17:50 that will have you at the Europa at 18:04. There is then a 212 Goldliner service at 18:30, departing from the same bus station, which would have you in Derry by 20:15, which is 45 minutes before the Airporter would have you there.

However please note that the currently published Translink timetables are only valid to 30 June - a summer timetable will be in place in July and August and then a different one again from September. You'll be able to find the airport bus timetable and the 212 Goldliner timetable at the following links, in case you want to check them after 1 July to see if the timings still work ok:

translink.co.uk/Services/…

translink.co.uk/Services/…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from City airport

Service 600, on Sunday evenings, offers departures from the City Airport to the Europa Buscentre at 1750, 1830, 1910, 1950, 2030, 2110 and 2145. Journey time is 15 - 20 minutes.

On Sunday evenings, trains depart from Great Victoria Street (under the same roof as the Europa Buscentre) at 1720, 1925 and 2120.

Antrim railway station is around 22 - 25 miles from the City Airport, using the M2 motorway for most of the journey.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from City airport

Sorry we seem to have crossed posts. A taxi to Antrim would cost about £30 and would take about half an hour, so there would be no guarantee you would make it on time, and if you're stranded in Antrim on a Sunday until the next train 2 hours later, I promise you'll find it very dull indeed! I hope my response above is a valid option for you?

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from City airport

Translink have sent me the link to the timetable: translink.co.uk/Documents/… but as Bridget points out, it'll all change on June 30th. If you're going to be travelling after that, I would advise you check back with us here after that date so we can give better advice.

Bridget's suggestion is absolutely the correct way to go - 600 bus to Europa, then the 212 Goldliner bus to Derry.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from City airport

If this thread is not testament to the friendliness of the people of Northern Ireland, I don't know what it is! Thank you all so much!

We will watch for updates to the timetables and make the journey by the two bus routes as advised. Once again - thank you so much!

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from City airport

Just glad you have a good option that will work for you - it's always stressful visiting a new city when you don't really know what your choices are, let alone which one will work best. Any more questions, just shout :-)

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from City airport

Just as long as you're not travelling by train this Monday. ;-)

10. Re: train from City airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 06:17