We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Belfast Thursday July 4th

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
In Belfast Thursday July 4th

I will be in belfast for the day on July 4th. We are coming up for the day from Dublin. We have a black taxi tour set up when we arrive around noon and we plan to take the last train back to dublin. Outside of the tour and the Crown Palace saloon, is there recommended activities or events anyone feels are cant miss? We enjoy live music and shopping as well if there are any spots for either near The Crown. I was told Kelly's Cellers was a great pub. Thanks for any and all recommendations. Also, I would be interested in any walking tours that deal with any of the events during the troubles or any other historical topic. Can't wait to enjoy what looks like a great city!!

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Belfast Thursday July 4th

I saw a site promoting the old bushmills distillery in belfast. Has anyone been there? is it in the city center?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Belfast Thursday July 4th

Hi

Old Bushmills Distillery is actually in Bushmills, near the Giant's Causeway so unfortunately it won't fit into your day in Belfast.

You might enjoy the Crumlin Road Gaol:

http://www.crumlinroadgaol.com/

In Belfast city centre, the City Hall offers free guided tours which last about an hour which get very good reviews. Details and tour times here: In the grounds of the city hall, there is also a Ttianic memorial garden.

www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cityhall/tours.asp

Coiste offer guided political walking tours but I would check what is covered in your black taxi tour so you aren't doubling un unnecessarily:

http://www.coiste.ie/

I like Kelly's Cellars and love the historical element to it. There are very good guided pub tours in Belfast but unfortunately the Thursday evening one is 7pm so won't work with your times. There are some quaint historic pubs in Belfast - the likes of White's Tavern, McCracken's etc etc. Exploring some of these old pubs around the old entries also allows you to see some of the older parts of the city.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Belfast Thursday July 4th

Oh and of course, nowadays, the Titanic Quarter is a major Tourist destination. The Titanic experience takes up to 3 hours so is a significant chunk out of your day (and many people combine it with the dry dock) so you may need to prioritise according to your interests.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Belfast Thursday July 4th

Great suggestions on the pubs! All seem to be in the same area which is nice as we will be walking. The prison tour looks right up my alley. Will look in to that for sure. One other question....my black taxi is picking me up at Central Station when I arrive by train. When time to leave, what is the best method back to the train station? Walking? Bus? Cab? Thanks again!

Belfast
Level Contributor
91 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Belfast Thursday July 4th

I would really recommend the History of Terror tour - it's a walking tour of Belfast city centre that covers the Troubles. It's a great introduction to the city and will help you get your bearings as well as learning a lot about the city's history during that time. They do a tour every morning at 10.30 but they also arrange tours in the afternoon. http://www.deadcentretours.com/ and they are on Tripadvisor too. If you are in the city centre it's only a 10 minute walk to Central Station or there are plenty of buses such as the 4A leaving from the City Hall that would drop you off there. But if the weather's OK I'd just walk.

6. Re: In Belfast Thursday July 4th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 06:17