We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Liverpool
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First timers

Hello everyone, travelling to Belfast for the first time on Friday oct 4 th till Sunday 6 th, we are a young 40's couple, looking for a couple of nice lunches somewhere (a tapas one if possible) and some shopping and a couple of nights out, one with modern music for a bit of a dance and one with some local live music. We are staying in the holiday inn express. If anyone could offer a few suggestions we would be very grateful. Thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

For tapas try 2Taps - it's lovely. For more informal, American bar food style tapas, Alleycat is great. Made in Belfast in the Cathedral Quarter is great for a sit down lunch. For something quick and easy, Bubbacue (American BBQ) and Boojum (Mexican) are big local favourites. If you want variety, I hear good things about Cosmo in Victoria Square, although you might have a bit of a wait depending on time/day.

With shopping the best advice is just to wander around the city centre. Victoria Square is good for designer brands, while Donegall Place/Royal Avenue/High Street/Ann Street/etc are good for high street stuff. St George's Market is also worth a visit - it only runs Friday to Sunday and the stalls change each day, but generally speaking you'll find local foods, coffee, arts, crafts, clothing, books, antiques, etc.

For your night with modern music, it depends what type of music you like. Most of the bars with chart type music are full of 20-somethings, but that's maybe ok if you don't mind a young crowd. There is a recent thread on the forum about other options for a group of guys in their early-mid 40s if that might help:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186470-i491-k67…

For local live music, again it depends what you're after. We have traditional Irish sessions but we also have contemporary gigs from bands big and small. Check out http://www.belfastmusic.org/ for your dates to see what's available.

Edit: Just to note that your hotel is in the Queens Quarter. You'll find lots of cafés, bars, etc on Botanic Avenue near your hotel, but it is a bit of a walk into the city centre.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 15:39
Liverpool
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

Thanks for you very informative answer bridg, plenty of food for thought (pun intended lol)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers

Paul,

Hope you have a lovely time on your visit to Belfast.

Where you are staying is situated close to a lot of food places - there are many restaurants on Botanic, Ormeau Road and the Lisburn Road which are all nearby. In fact there is a club on the road you are on - it is on the same side but near the bottom of the road.; it is called Menagerie. It is very quirky and does some great nights but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you are wanting Tapas I would also recommend as BridgetJonesNi recommend '2 Tapas' for tapas food. It is situated within the Cathedral Quarter district which is very cosmopolitan and has many pubs/bars nearby. I am not sure of your taste in Music but the following are nearby 2 Tapas -

The Spaniard, Muriel's, 21 Social, Cloth Ear, John Hewitt, Duke of York, Deer's Head etc etc. There are so many to choose from in that area that if you are not keen on one you are within stumbling distance of another. One of my favourites would be Laverys which is not in the Cathedral Quarter but is fairly near where you are staying. With Northern Ireland and Ireland you can be assured that there are no shortage of pubs/clubs.

For local live music i'd recommend the Empire on Botanic which is near where you are staying. The following is a great guide for gigs and live music -

bbc.co.uk/programmes/…gigguide

As for other places to eat i'd recommend - Ginger, Zen 2, Coco, am:pm, Barking Dog or for more convenient quick food - Build a Burger, Chalcos or Boojum and Bubbacue and Alley Cat.

Main shopping areas are all very centrally placed but Victoria Square is definitely a must.

The good thing about Belfast is that it is very intimate so everything is fairly accessible on foot or by bus/train.

Enjoy!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers

Another fantastic reply, thank you very much for all your help ekm88

5. Re: First timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Belfast