We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cibolo, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Topic
Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

Does this sound like a good plan for Belfast, or will I miss something good?

Day One: I'll be arriving somewhere around 9 or 10 in the morning, completely exhausted from lack of sleep, then will have to get luggage and get myself from the international airport to my hotel (Tara Lodge). After dropping off my luggage I thought I'd take the hop on/hop off bus tour to get familiar with the city, and if I get too tired I can always just hop off, and go back to the hotel.

Day Two: Bicycle tour from 10am to approx 1:30pm, quick lunch, and then spend the rest of the afternoon, into the evening at the Titanic museum and other Titanic points of interest. The museum is open until 7pm, so I'm hoping that five hours is enough to see absolutely everything (museum, dock & pump house, walking tour? SS Nomadic). If five hours isn't enough, I'm thinking of doing something else after the bike tour and spending the entire day three in the Titanic quarter. However, that would mean missing out on...

Day Three: Giants Causeway all day bus tour

Day Four: Fly to Edinburgh. At this point I don't have a flight booked so I can either leave in the morning to maximize my time in Scotland, or leave in the evening to get an extra day in Belfast, if there's anything else good to see.

What do you think? Is trying to cram in the Causeway tour too ambitious? Should I just spend the entire time in Belfast?

How is public transportation in Belfast? Will it be easy for me to get everywhere I want to see without wasting too much time, or should I splurge a little and just take taxis everywhere?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

Definitely a good idea to see the causeway and there are a number if day tours that leave Belfast city centre each morning. As for when you leave Belfast, there is plenty to do to keep you occupied depending on what you like! Maybe even get an afternoon flight that way you get a half day in each city!

2. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 September 2013, 07:35
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

How many days are you in scotland?

Your Belfast plan is good. On day one, you could include a short stop at the city hall. There are free guided tours inside at set times but you can also see some of the inside on your own. In the grounds is a small memorial garden for the Titanic which includes a wall with all the names of those who perished so given your interest, that would be worth including.

Depending in how you feel on day one, one of the stops on hoho is Crumlin Road Gaol which gets very good reviews (on my to do list!).

Don't miss a drink in the famous Crown Liquor Saloon at some stage.

Finally, if you opt for a later flight, you could consider visiting the ulster folk & transport museum at cultra (15 min train ride from Belfast). This is a big indoor transport museum and outdoor folk park. The transport museum has Titanica, a Titanic exhibition with artefacts from the ship.

London
Level Contributor
83 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

You can also visit Stormont on a guided tour. Well worth a look. And there are black cab tours of the most infamous Troubles sites including the peace walls. These tours will usually be from a Catholic perspective as the cabbies were mostly nationalists. Belfast is still very much a city of two cultures. Bike or walk round the different areas taking in the impressive murals in each and you can start to appreciate the Protestant and Catholic respective histories. A good way to get a handle on Northern Ireland's dual identity. Perhaps drive the 2 hours to Derry / Londonderry too - another interesting city and well worth the visit.

London
Level Contributor
83 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

You can also visit Stormont on a guided tour. Well worth a look. And there are black cab tours of the most infamous Troubles sites including the peace walls. These tours will usually be from a Catholic perspective as the cabbies were mostly nationalists. Belfast is still very much a city of two cultures. Bike or walk round the different areas taking in the impressive murals in each and you can start to appreciate the Protestant and Catholic respective histories. A good way to get a handle on Northern Ireland's dual identity. Perhaps drive the 2 hours to Derry / Londonderry too - another interesting city and well worth the visit.

PS - best restaurants we found were Mourne Seafood Bar and Deanes - both recommended

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

Without wishing to divert this thread, the "Protestant" history that you would see on one of those tours in no way represents anything Protestant that I was brought up under...

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

For "Protestant and Catholic" read "extreme Loyalist and extreme Republican".

London
Level Contributor
83 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

Take your points guys - just to clarify: the cab tours will come from.an Irish nationalist perspective. Hope the OP will understand the caveat. In Northern Ireland there are always two sides to every story!! And both traditions include some of the most wonderful people you are likely to meet.

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

Thanks for the replies. With my limited time there, Troubles touring is not high on my priority list. Although I will certainly read up on Belfast history/troubles now that you've mentioned this.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three days in Belfast. Thoughts on what I should do.

Don't forget that your hoho bus ticket will be valid for 2 days so you can also use it the day after you arrive

Lou73