We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

Pay money to Rentalcars.com at YOUR PERIL!

Wanted to hire a car at Belfast airport. Googled to find rentalcars.com who acted as a 'best price' agency. Found they were part of a massive worldwide group Priceline http://ir.priceline.com/. (Include booking.com, kayak.com in their brands). Reassuring. Paid the full amount in advance.

Arrived at Belfast Airport to find an unmanned portacabin. Phone number pinned to door of portacabin. Called the number given. No answer. Was told by neighbours on the site they had never seen ayone present, but lots of unsatisfied customers looking for booked cars. Went to Avis 100 yards away and hired car from them for the week. Painless.

On return home (one week later) phoned rentalcars.com with details. Putting me on hold they tried 3 numbers they had for the hire company they were acting for. None of the 3 were answered. Was told I had to complete online form with details so I could get ref number. Which I did. Nothing mentioned about when I should have reported the problem. Received email to say would take 28 days to process.

Phoned them to ask why 28 days when they already knew the story. Told that was the way it was, take it or leave it.

Then after 28 days received an email. As I had not notified them from the hire location at the time, there was no refund.

Phoned again to make sure I had understood. They explained why I was getting no refund. Asked to speak to a manager. None available. Legal department? Engaged. Your address? Had to look it up.

Told it was: Rentalcars.com, Sunlight House, Quay St, Manchester M3 3LU. Nothing a companies house I could find about them.

What came across was what appeared to be systematic fudging and obstruction from the company.

Amazed that a publicly listed company operates in such a way.

Stage one of the refund has been completed. Now for stage two.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

You should post this on the uk and Ireland forum also.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
892 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

Use a car rental broker at your peril - I learned my lesson on that also. It may be more expensive to book directly with the rental company, but at least you know who to complain to then if anything goes wrong.

FWIW, Avis at Belfast International have always been fantastic for me - not the cheapest, but their service is excellent.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

Ugh! Almost the same experience for me in Dublin. I too, along with a friend, looked online for a "reasonably" priced car for Ireland. I somehow made two bookings and thought they were one and the same. A truly honest mistake. When I checked in w/Dooley they said they never pre-charge rental cars. I had to deal once I got home. Just got the final email after the 28 day waiting period, submitting my credit card statement, etc.....nada, zilch, SOL. A subsidiary of Priceline. Really? They should know better. For my honest mistake, I've been charged over US $145 and can't ask my traveling partner to help with paying, since it was my mistake, an honest one. Guess there's no understanding, kind people anywhere in the world. Good to see others have had similar problems and will never use them again and/or recommend. Will tell all that will listen.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

Ugh! Almost the same experience for me in Dublin. I too, along with a friend, looked online for a "reasonably" priced car for Ireland. I somehow made two bookings and thought they were one and the same. A truly honest mistake. When I checked in w/Dooley they said they never pre-charge rental cars. I had to deal once I got home. Just got the final email after the 28 day waiting period, submitting my credit card statement, etc.....nada, zilch, SOL. A subsidiary of Priceline. Really? They should know better. For my honest mistake, I've been charged over US $145 and can't ask my traveling partner to help with paying, since it was my mistake, an honest one. Guess there's no understanding, kind people anywhere in the world. Good to see others have had similar problems and will never use them again and/or recommend. Will tell all that will listen.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

And people say that Americans don't get irony :)

6. Re: Rentalcars.com - AVOID at all costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:21