We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast to Dublin by Train

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
366 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast to Dublin by Train

Just finished 6 days. in Beltfast,Antrim, Derry, Killybegs etc.

We were told by some posts here and people we met that the train from Belfast to Dublin had some spectacular scenery. Train was more expensive and took longer but everyone seemed to agree the scenery was worth it. In fact on Sunday the fares were similar.

I am here to say Take the BUS. The scenery is boring and you can drive a car in any direction and see far more spectacular scenery. We saw some of the most beautiful scenery in 6 days and had only a few rain drops.

In addition you have to line up forever for the train if you want to get a seat together and lug your bags on and off. BUS would be much easier.

Take the BUS!!

Edited: 02 June 2014, 12:19
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

I think most people would say the train is "more scenic", not "spectacular", which is true since the bus just takes the motorway and there are at least some pretty bits along the way on the train. If you'd asked on here I would have recommended the bus unless you specifically preferred trains - some people do. I personally find the Aircoach the best option overall - convenient arrival/departure points in both cities, only stops at Dublin airport along the way, comfortable seats, good luggage storage under the bus, and the fastest option when you consider the time it takes to get from the train stations to the city centre with the train option. The Translink/Bus Eireann bus has a couple more stops and takes 5 minutes longer but it's a close second.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

Yes the Aircoach is by far the best way between Belfast and Dublin and most regulars will tell you the same.

The train ride from Belfast to Derry might be classed as spectacular.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

Hi firecat - glad you got good weather:)

I'm a bit confused by the post as the one I see on here from you yielded responses with links to the bus between Belfast and Dublin?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186470-i491-k70…

I would say people choose/recommend the train as it may be regarded as more comfortable. As Bobby said the spectacular scenery would be Belfast to Derry or Coleraine to Derry, the rest is fine (Coleraine to Belfast is pretty boring) so Belfast to Dublin would be regarded as scenic but not special or spectacular.

But thanks for reporting back - public transport questions come up a lot so it is actually very good to get feedback and a tourist's perspective:)

Will you be doing a wee trip report for us firecat? It's been quiet this year for trip reports so it would be lovely to hear a bit more about your time here.

Portstewart...
Level Contributor
493 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

Yup, 100 % Aircoach for me. The train to Dublin is an awful thing that is badly in need of being revamped/replaced. Thankfully the trains in NI are of a much better standard. Aircoach is defs the way to go, and it is well priced, as well !

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

Hi there,

If you are planing a trip from Belfast to Dublin you can take the train -http://www.translink.co.uk/Services/Enterprise/

or the bus

http://www.translink.co.uk/Services/Goldline/

We also have promotional fares so check out the website to see what is on offer. http://www.translink.co.uk/

The choice is yours - there are some nice views on the train journey. The journey by train takes approx 2hours 10 minutes.

The bus is hourly and also serves Dublin Airport. The journey from Belfast to the Airport is approx 2hr 10 minutes or 2 hours 25 minutes to Dublin City Centre.

Let us know if you need any more information

Kind regards

Translink

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

Aircoach which is an Express service takes 1hr 50mins to Dublin Airport and 2hr 10mins to the City.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

Well, I have been on the train from Belfast to Dublin and really enjoyed the trip. I thought the scenery was actually pretty nice, especially along the coast and through the Mournes. The train was comfortable and everyone was very chatty and amiable. I must declare a hatred of long distance bus travel though, so maybe I am biased!

8. Re: Belfast to Dublin by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:17