We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to visit Belfast?

chios
Level Contributor
99 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to visit Belfast?

I have a congress at the University of Belfast the comming autumn and i have this simple guestion:Is it safe to visit Belfast?And if yes any hotel suggestions nearby the university?Thank you

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,743 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

I have only visited Belfast once for a four day stay.

It is probably one of the safest and friendliest places I have ever stayed in.

The local people fell over themselves to be helpful and a casual word to a complete stranger ended up as a long friendly talk.

Never felt in any danger.

Worry not ---- enjoy a visit.

Graham

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

Yes, its as safe as any other city, this is 2014 not 1974.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

Yes, Belfast is as safe as any other modern city. I know that the media sometimes portrays Northern Ireland as though it's still the height of "the Troubles", but honestly, literally millions of tourists visit Belfast every year and I'd defy anyone to come up with a story of anyone that actually came to harm. Even if there is any kind of unrest, the police service here are very efficient at dealing with it and keeping everyone safe, plus it's very rare for those kinds of things to happen in the areas tourists would be staying or visiting anyway.

When you say the University of Belfast, could I ask you to clarify for me? I suspect you mean Queen's University, but there is also another university campus in the city belonging to the University of Ulster, so I just don't want to lead you astray. If it's Queen's University you're heading to, that's a lovely area and I'd recommend you look at Madison's, Benedict's, Duke's, the Malone Lodge, the Wellington Park and Tara Lodge, which are all easy walking distance. If it's the University of Ulster, you're near the trendy Cathedral Quarter, and you could look at the Premier Inn Cathedral Quarter, the Ramada Encore, the Malmaison or (if you're feeling flush) the Merchant.

chios
Level Contributor
99 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

First of all thanks everyone for your time spend replying to me.Beiing at my first youth at 70s and hearing all the great Northen Irelands bands(such us STIFF LITTLE FINGERS) and viewing all the movies and the TV series about Ulster and the trouble years its natural to be influenced and wondering how the things are now there.From your replies i asumme that all these are well behind,isnt it?@BridgetJonesNI:the congress will take place at Management School of Queens University

Glasgow
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

If you grew up listening to SLF you'll love Belfast as there is a very vibrant music scene in the city these days. So if you get enough free time away from your conference be sure to check it out.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

Assuming your conference is at the Clinton Leadership Institute at Stranmillis, I can't think of any hotels particularly close by. It'd be easiest just to stay somewhere in the City Centre and get an 8A bus to and from Stranmillis. (although Bobby may know better)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

Wellington Park would be the closest hotel.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

If your here on a Saturday and its the right one. you might be like to catch The Belfast Music Bus Tour.

You can also call into Terri Hooley's Coffee shop at the bottom of North St.

chios
Level Contributor
99 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

thank you.Any suggestions for clubs or venues?

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to visit Belfast?

The Empire and The Black Box, also check http://www.belfastmusic.org/ www.realmusicclub.com/cgi-bin/greeting…

If you here on a Tuesday The Comedy Club at the Empire is a great night out.