We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast to Portrush

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast to Portrush

All - Is it possible to go from Belfast to Portrush via the Coastal Route? Hope to see Dark Hedges, Rope Bridge, Giant's causeway, and the Distillery. Plan on leaving early in the AM in rental car from Belfast City Center.

Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast to Portrush

Should clarify - I will already have my car, I will not need to get it before departing Belfast.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast to Portrush

Yes it's possible. Are you overnighting in Portrush? If so, absolutely no problem. If you're planning to do this all in a day trip returning to Belfast then it takes a bit more planning and may depend on time of year.

Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast to Portrush

Yes this is a great(long) drive roughly 85 miles,approximately 2hrs 45mins, right up the Antrim coast.

Head from Belfast along the M2 then M5 towards Carrickfergus and then Larne. The coastal route really starts outside Larne. The main route would be:

Belfast

Carrickfergus

Larne

Glenarm

Carnlough

Cushendall

Ballycastle

Carrick A Rede

Bushmills

Portrush.

The more direct route would be a lot quicker(1hr 45 and 75 miles) but you would miss out the coastal route ie

Belfast-

Ballymena

Coleraine

Portrush

Bushmills

Carrick A Rede

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast to Portrush

Ponaire - Will be staying in Portrush at the Ashlea House. I know it will be a decent amount of driving but I feel I still have time to see all the sites if I get an early start from Belfast. Thanks for the detailed route!

Depending on times was thinking we could make a trip to Giant's Causeway after we check in the B&B maybe in the dusk hours depending on weather after the tours leave. Any suggestions?

Will be an early morning the next day as we have to drive to Carndonagh, Co. Donegal, Ireland for a booked bike trip!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast to Portrush

Two things you shouldn't miss. When you arrive at Downhill fork left up the very steep Bishop's Road and continue until you see a layby to your right, from which there is a magnificent view. Most unusually, from here it is possible to drive right to the top of Benevenagh Mountain, although the last part is on a very rough track. Between Derry/Londonderry & Carndonagh, provided the weather is clear, which it frequently isn't, make the small diversion to visit Greenan Fort, where there is another wonderful view in all directions. In my youth I once cycled from Belfast to Portrush by the direct route and back around the coast. It was a long day!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast to Portrush

LondonBob - This is great information will definitely take the detours if time allows. Thanks

7. Re: Belfast to Portrush

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:16