We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Hi,

I'm in the UK mid-late October on a super low budget. I'm going to Dublin first and then on to Belfast. I was wondering whether it is worth a day trip to Giant's Causeway this late in the year and if so, do you have recommendations for tour companies/how to go about it. If not, is there anywhere else you would recommend I visit instead or if I should skip Belfast altogether and just do Dublin.

Also, as a side note, my aunt came back from a trip in June and suggested I avoid travelling to Belfast as she found it to be very unsafe and I'm a young woman travelling alone. Would you recommend me avoiding it?

Thank you

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Well, considering there are hundreds if not thousands of women in Belfast who work, live, go shopping etc etc etc without the need for a chaperone I would be interested to hear what actually happened to your aunt. I am guessing nothing.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Well, quite. I'm 30, have lived in Belfast most of my life and find it safer than pretty much any other city I've visited. Out of curiosity, what safety issues did she experience?

As for the rest of your question, I'm not clear on your timings. Are you planning to spend 1 day at the causeway and also some additional time in Belfast, or is it pretty much a case of spending 1 day in Northern Ireland and wondering whether it's best to head up to the causeway instead of staying in the city? The causeway is beautiful at any time of year and if you're interested in natural sites, etc, it's definitely worth a day trip. Look at Allen's Tours, Paddywagon, McCombs (aka Minicoach) and Odyssey Tours to get you started.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

I am also in total agreement with Bridget and fuchsia, Your aunt is talking crap as we say here!

Belfast is very safe city you will have no problems at all.I would love to know where she got that idea from .

Was she a visitor on a coach party?

Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Thanks guys! I'll have a look at the tour companies you suggested! I was planning on spending a day at the Causeway plus a day in Belfast as well, but if I didn't go to the Causeway I probably would have skipped Belfast and spent more time in Dublin.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Still awaiting background to your aunt's comments please.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Belfast is by international standards one of the safest cities in Ireland, the UK and Europe. You don't have anything to worry about! Just have common sense and take the usual precautions that you would take elsewhere and you'll be grand!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
86 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

hello

im thinking of visiting belfast for one day while im in london next year , please share with us what kind of problems your aunt had during her visit , her experiences could help other visitors avoid any potential dangers

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

We're still trying to figure out what exactly happened to the aunt...

London
Level Contributor
69 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Maybe she was into the Irish Giant Finn McCool at the Giants Causeway .....

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belfast/Northern Ireland in October

Meant to add that around Hallowe'en Derry would be the place to be with lots of events on.