We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-Point Stop between Donegal Town and Belfast

Denver
4 posts
Save Topic
Mid-Point Stop between Donegal Town and Belfast

Well, I'm back again and always wish I had more days in my itenerary. I'm having a hard time deciding as the specific area or town I should choose as a mid way stop. I will be traveling form Donegal Town to Belfast, but I allotted 1 night to stay in between. I also am planning to take the scenic route via Torr head. I also only have one night in Belfast.

I have read about some of the differences between the major towns along the way. Would I be able to see both the causeway and the rope bridge in 1 day without skimping out on too much? Or should I just plan on doing the causeway on 1 day and the rope bridge another along with the torr head drive to belfast? It seems it would be beneficial not to pick a place where I'm staying for the night that will make me backtrack on my way to Belfast. Or is everything only 15-20 minutes away so I shouldnt worry about it too much?

Overall, I was thinking 3 approaches.

Do both in 1 day and stay in ballintoy or ballycastle

Do causeway in 1 day and stay around whitepark bay

Do causeay in 1 day but backtrack and stay in a more lively town like portrush

Right now I'm leaning more towards option 2.

Opinions?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-Point Stop between Donegal Town and Belfast

The distances between the places you mention are relatively close so I don't think it really matters. Bushmills, Ballintoy and Whitepark Bay are all good choices.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-Point Stop between Donegal Town and Belfast

Agree totally with Drumlough - difference between the places is negligible. Ballycastle is the furthest along the coast but could still be done although I would agree Bushmills/Whitepark Bay/Portrush are all fine.

Ballymena, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-Point Stop between Donegal Town and Belfast

Previous postings are good advice - the most scenic section of the North Antrim coast is pretty compact and certainly to devote a whole day to the Causeway and a whole day to the rope bridge would be excessive. Suggest an overnight in Portrush, spend the next day working along the coast (don't forget Dunluce Castle) stopping the next night in Ballycastle and travelling on to Belfast via Torr Head the day after. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Edited: 25 May 2012, 00:33
4. Re: Mid-Point Stop between Donegal Town and Belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about County Antrim