We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northern ireland to mull

portadown.
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
northern ireland to mull

hi folks,anyone know how to travel from n.ire to mull and which part of mull is best for birdwatching and other nature. i would appreciate your help on this also if you could recommend accomodation suitable for family. thanks

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: northern ireland to mull

I know that when I was at the marina/harbour in Ballycastle recently, there was a list of boats/owners who were licensed to take people out on trips. So the first port of call might be the council:

http://www.moyle-council.org/

There is a company in Mull itself but that would maybe only work if you were doing a weekend and so would need 2 round trips anyway. For a day trip, it would probably be cheaper to hire a boat and skipper for the day.

http://www.mull-of-kintyre.co.uk/

I have heard this name recommended locally as I was over in the summer to the western isles but he was already booked on our chosen date:

northcoastni.com/activities/269/aquasports/

If you need further help, post again and I will try to find out more information on a word of mouth basis but the council should be able to help. .

Mentioned in this post
Ballycastle
Ballycastle
County Antrim, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: northern ireland to mull

Are we talking about the Isle of Mull in Scotland?

By car or by public transport?

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
portadown.
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: northern ireland to mull

many thanks for help

portadown.
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: northern ireland to mull

well i have a car,depends on how much driving we are looking at. as i cant drive very long distances.due to health probs. so either really.car or public transport and yes its mull in scotland

Edited: 20 November 2010, 19:10
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: northern ireland to mull

??

Get the ferry to Stranraer or Troon and motor north over the Erskine Bridge, up the A82.

Follow the signs for Oban, and get the ferry to Mull.

Or, get the train to Glasgow once in Scotland, and take a train from Queen Street train to Oban, then ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Troon
Troon
South Ayrshire, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: northern ireland to mull

Sorry - I think I picked up the wrong end of the stick! I assumed that as it was the Ballycastle forum, you were wanting to charter a boat to take you across for a day/overnight trip which is a quick but not cheap way to go!. Apologies for any confusion!

There is quite a bit of information on the Mull section of TA for hotel and B&B reviews so you should find information there!

Mentioned in this post
Ballycastle
Ballycastle
County Antrim, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: northern ireland to mull

If travelling by car, you will need to take a P&O or Stena Line ferry from Northern Ireland to Scotland (arriving in Troon, Cairnryan or Stranraer) then drive up the A77 towards Glasgow. When nearing Glasgow take the M8 to the Erskine Bridge (to cross the River Clyde), then A82 to Crianlarich and drive on to Oban. Caledonian MacBrayne (the ferry operator owned by the Scottish Government) operates a ferry from Oban to the Isle of Mull several times daily. See: www.calmac.co.uk

Note that there is no longer a ferry service from Ballycastle to Scotland.

Edited: 20 November 2010, 20:59
Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Troon
Troon
South Ayrshire, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
River Clyde
River Clyde
66 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Ballycastle
Ballycastle
County Antrim, UK
portadown.
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: northern ireland to mull

thank you very much for your help.i greatly appreciate it.

9. Re: northern ireland to mull

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ballycastle
Recent Conversations