We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loughgilly Cemetery

Tehachapi...
Level Contributor
69 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Loughgilly Cemetery

Hello, It is getting very close to my trip now (I'll be in Armagh April 25 and 26).

I am hoping to find the above-named cemetery. It is supposed to be in Loughgilly Parish, town of Comagrally, County Armagh.

I'm not having much luck searching the web for this cemetery.

Has anyone heard of this cemetery and do you know it's location.

Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

I suspect that the cemetery is simply in the grounds of Loughgilly Parish church.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

I suspect that the cemetery is simply in the grounds of Loughgilly Parish church. I'm on mobile so can't give you a link but there is a location map coming up when I google the parish church

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

Also, there's a photo of the church on the Wikipedia page for Loughgilly, and they also have a Facebook page.

Tehachapi...
Level Contributor
69 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

Thank you both for your responses. I did find the FB page for the church and have contacted them. So far, no response.

I will try to find the Google map!

Many thanks.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

See # 31 on this map:

www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php…

www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php…

Scroll down here for pictures of St Patrick's Church, Loughgilly with headstones visible in the church grounds:

http://tinyurl.com/ohd3mf4

http://tinyurl.com/nbe5m9e

According to this church poster for a Flower Festival in 2013, the church is located on the A28 between Newry and Armagh city:

…anglican.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Lou…

Local map here:

http://tinyurl.com/n2qoduc

Note there are contact names and phone numbers in the Flower Festival Poster above, should you need further local input.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

I believe the reference to 'the town of Comagrally' is more likely be 'the townland of Cornagrally' which was in the Civil Parish of Loughgilly:

Fill in Cornnagrally here and choose Armagh for the county:

http://www.thecore.com/ireatlas/

ulsterancestry.com/ua-free_Townlands-Armagh.…

proni.gov.uk/index/…townlands.htm

For the most part, a 'townland' does not involve a town, other than being quite a bit away from one:

paulgomac.tripod.com/drumlamph/id12.html

Edit: Cornagrally is still in present-day use:

http://tinyurl.com/ks56quf

Tehachapi...
Level Contributor
69 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!

I found the cemtery and found the gravestone and got my photo! I'm very happy!

Judy

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

Excellent!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

Wonderful news, Judy. Good for you!

If time and circumstances allow, it would be lovely to have a short Trip Report of your visit.

Tehachapi...
Level Contributor
69 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loughgilly Cemetery

Uasal, we were only able to spend one whole day in Armagh. We saw both St. Patrick Cathedrals and walked along Upper English Street. On another thread, I learned that a Mr. Couser had owned a "premier" grocery store along that street. Of course, it would no longer be there, but we just wanted to get the feel of it.

Then I spotted the office of the Armagh Observer News. We stopped in on a whim and met Joe McManis.

He knew the name Couser and confirmed that there had been a store by that name. He was unsure exactly where it used to be but asked us to stop back by in half an hour and he would see what he could find. Before we left, he also told us he knew some Couser families in the place where he grew up Aghavilly and told us there used to be a bus stop known as Couser's Corner because of a Couser home on the corner of the bus stop. He gave us directions to there and also mentioned a nearby cemetery where we might find Couser gravestones (sadly, we didn't). He said nearby Milford also contained some Cousers, including Lilly Couser who worked in a Milford shop and whose father, J.D.Couser, was a local counsillor.

When we came back later, he had made some phone calls and told us that the grocery store used to exist where the Around a Pound store now stood (it was been a Woolworths in the time in between Couser's Grocery and Around a Pound).

He had located an old photo looking down Upper English and pointed out to us where the Couser store had been. He then left us with his email address and phone number and promised to have for us more photos of Cousers.

Of course, we were absolutely thrilled and it really just made our trip to Armagh. We couldn't thank him enough and can't wait to see what else he may be able to dig up for us.

We located Couser's Corner and each of a took a tiny rock from there to commemorate our visit and, of course, a dozen photos.

I also want to say that the folks in Armagh City were wonderful: so helpful and friendly and made us feel so welcomed there. All our party agreed we should have arranged our schedule to spend more time there!

P.S. to DarrenNI: The photo was a great help. As soon as we went whizzing past it on the motorway, I quickly grabbed my notebook, saw the photo, and we turned right around and went straight to it. Thanks!

Reply to: Loughgilly Cemetery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Armagh