We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downpatrick

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Downpatrick

We are going to be driving up to Belfast, on Saturday 09 November. We want to stop at Downpatrick to visit the Saint Patrick sites. How long should we give, to see the sights?

Outside of his grave, what should we see, that is real Saint Patrick.

8 replies to this topic
Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Downpatrick

Lunch at Denvir's Hotel (the pub side), maybe a tour of the gaol. Don't put a time limit on anything, you're bound to find interesting stuff.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downpatrick

It's not at all certain that the grave is "real Saint Patrick"!

You should allow time for the St Patrick's Centre which is close by (maybe an hour), obviously the Cathedral by the grave, but also a couple of hours for a tour out of town to include Saul Church and Struell Wells and the Narrows. You might also want to climb Slieve Patrick which is a relatively easy climb.

If I presume you are driving "up" from Dublin, then given that darkness begins to fall early in November, you will realistically allow the full day and not expect to be in Belfast before dark.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downpatrick

IF we'd any Armachians on this forum, they'd be protesting loudly that his resting place is in Armagh!! And we'll never know:)

Agree totally with Drumlough that Saul church is an abolute must.

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downpatrick

Thanks folk for getting back to me. We have the full day for Saint Patrick, then up to Hilton west of Belfast. What's your best guess, on there his resting place is? I wonder how long it will be, before some University wants to dig up the grave.

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downpatrick

Lol, So many contradictions about St Patrick. The "no snakes in Ireland" myth is laughable and merely due to snake biology and the ice age, the wearing of green has been confused with the wearing of the shamrock signifying "the holy trinity" myth and not actually meaning a colour to wear (Ireland's old traditional colour was actually blue believe it or not). And of course... St Patrick wasn't even Irish.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downpatrick

Horizon - stop right there...!! Next you'll be trying to tell us that the Giant's Causeway was the result of some geological incident when we all know the true story of Finn McCool and Benandonner. ;)

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downpatrick

I sure hope you too, don't next tell us, was there a Saint Patrick? I can tell you for sure there was, because I been going to and sometimes marching in, the Saint Patrick's Day Parade up 5th Avenue for years. If Saint Patrick wasen't real, I'm sure Mayor Blumburg would have canceled it. As he tried to cancel large soda's.

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downpatrick

Lol @ you both :-D

Reply to: Downpatrick
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Downpatrick
Recent Conversations