We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking on the Causeway from Derry

liverpool
Level Contributor
494 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Walking on the Causeway from Derry

Hi - I will be using public transport to get to the giants causeway from Derry so have only 5hrs to explore on foot. Can anyone suggest a good walk for me to do. I have heard Ballintoy to Bushmills might fit the bill - any suggestions? Many thanks Nora

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

www.walkni.com/Walks.aspx…

This link gives details of lots of walks available in County Antrim. They are given in terms of length so you can decide how far you want to go. I would allow a reasonable length of time to enjoy the Causeway as well - especially if you get a good day.

Below is the whole Causeway Coastal walk but it is split into sections so you could look at that. There are several options - Ballintoy to the Causeway is one which would include Carrick-a-Rede so it is a logical option. Or you could go from Portrush to the Causeway and take in Dunluce Castle.

http://www.walkni.com/Walk.aspx?ID=18

If you are coming in the summer (June to September) the Causeway Rambler will be in service to help you get back to Portrush/Coleraine for your train.

liverpool
Level Contributor
494 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

Many thanks ponaire I'll check the websites out. I'm visiting easter weekend so I hope the weather is kind.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

Fingers crossed - it was beautiful last year as I was there myself on Easter Saturday and sat for ages on the stones which were lovely and warm even after 6pm!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

Balintoy Harbour to Portbalintrae or vice verca is excellent. Just check the tide times as at high springs in rough weather it isn't possible to pass a the western end of White Park Bay.

Bushmills, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

There are plenty of walks, and you'll see most on the Causeway Coast walk, like ponaire says you can split it into sections. See here what's on at the Causeway and hope you take some time to explore the stones! www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway/

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

"Whitepark Bay has been voted as Northern Ireland's favourite spot for beach walks as voted for by the fans of WalkNI.com."

Essentially there is only one walk - the Causeway Coast Way which stretches 33 miles from Portstewart Strand to Ballycastle, with a variations and loops. It can be split many ways, but Balintoy to Portbalintrae is the best but taking in Carrickarede would also be worthwhile if you have time.

liverpool
Level Contributor
494 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

Thanks everyone - great information!

8. Re: Walking on the Causeway from Derry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:27