We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

11 days in Scotland. Driving to Oban, Mull Skye and Callander areas, If we just picked one or two castles which would be the most interesting to visit. (We don't mind driving a little out of way)

thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

I havent been there but the one on an island in a loch, at the end of in Monty Python and The Holy Grail looks amazing.

scotlandthemovie.com/movies/mpstalker.html

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

"(We don't mind driving a little out of way)"

Castle Tioram (ruin) : This was a serendipitious stop for us on our drive to Ardnamurchan and we reveled in its majestic loneliness, beauty and history.

Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

You could see literally hundreds in 11 days - big ones, small ones, ruined ones, live-in ones...! www.castles.org/Chatelaine/list.htm

If you're arriving into Edinburgh or Glasgow, it might be worth visiting one of the bigger bookstores (there's a Waterstone's in Edinburgh and a Borders in Glasgow within 2 mins of the main rail stations) to find a reference guide (or try Amazon.com - but can't flick though!). There are also maps of Scotland with castles marked if you want to devise your own tour.

Off the 'top of my head' (and I'll forget many)...

... of the big ones that aren't ruined (and you can go inside), Edinburgh, Stirling, Glamis (pron "Glamz"), Culzean (pron "Cull-Ane"), Blair spring to mind...

... of the spectacularly located ones, Eilean Donan, Kilchurn, Stalker, Urquhart...

... of the 'wonderfully ruined' ones, Dunottar, Kildrummy, Tantallon...

... of the cute fairytale ones, mostly in the North East, e.g. Crathes, Craigievar, Fyvie (www.agtb.org/castletrail.htm)

Some more ideas: www.visitscotland.com/library/scottishcastles; frommers.com/destinations/…0238020812.html. The 'Scotland the Best' guidebook is also good for listing the best castles (as well as the best of lots of other things).

You can stay in a castle too: www.visitscotland.com/accommodation/castle/

Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

The other castle used in the Python film was at Doune:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doune_Castle

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

Second the recommendation for Dunnottar.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,319 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

And you'll pass Eillan Donan (sp?) on route to Skye just a few mile before Kyle Of Lochalsh

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

Eilan Donan is a must!!

I WILL be buying it when I win the lottery!........

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

For ruins in scenic locations, Dunottar would get my vote.

However it is not at all handy for where you are visiting.

For those near(er) Callendar I admit to a soft spot for Castle Menzies - have a look at www.menzies.org/castle/index.htm

Have been to Dunvegan on Skye and wasn't much impressed - (I thought it a bit small and poor looking) however Armadale Castle in the south of the island with its lovely gardens is something else. www.clandonald.com

9. Re: Best Castle or ruin to visit in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 20:21