We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

What would be a good place to stop on the way from Buckinghamshire to South Lanarkshire? We are renting a car and driving up and would like to stop somewhere nice and quiet close to the main road.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

What about stopping off in the Lake District?

There's a travel lodge on the outskirts of Kendal and one at the Burton/Kendal service area off the M6.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

Try the New Inn at Clapham (near Ingleton on the A65). Friendly pub, home-made food, a beautiful little village on the edge of the Dales National Park.

Worth the slight detour from the motorway.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

Are you looking for somewhere to stay overnight, or just a nice spot for a meal and a stretch of the legs?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

Hi

I'd definitely agree with the suggestion of the lakes. They are beautiful.

If you are having an overnight stop, and the weather is nice it is worth leaving the M6 at the south of the lakes and driving up through ambleside and north to Keswick. You can then carry on to Carlisle - a longer drive but more interesting. Options to stay depend on your pocket and prefernces Underscar Manor by Keswick is lovely but expensive - but there are some good B&Bs too.

If you are just driving past - it is definitely worth stopping at Tebay Services on the m6 (the only UK motorway service station I'd say that of). It gives interesting info on the lake district and has a really wonderful local food shop - see www.westmorland.com/static/Farm_Shops.htm for some ideas.

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

We would probably be stopping for the night since the drive looks like it's a fairly long one.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

Hi

If you don't want to stay so far away from the motorway there is the guest house beckfoot near penrith - have a look at www.beckfoot.co.uk/index.html - not too far to drive. I haven't stayed there but it seems nice

In the same area if you want luxury there is the Sharrow Bay - www.sharrowbay.co.uk - I've had an amazing meal there, when I lived in the lake district, but never had the chance to stay.

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

Is it likely that we can make the drive in one afternoon from Buckinghamshire into South Lanarkshire or is that a crazy idea?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

I imagine it would take around eight hours if you factor in stops for a meal and other necessities. www.theaa.com will give you route details, a map and journey timings by stage. Also it will show you where the petrol and refreshments stops are.

9. Re: from buckinhamshire to south lanarkshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 14:19