We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh or Inverness???

South Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh or Inverness???

Hello- I am travelling to the UK and Ireland this summer with my husband and parents. We are starting the trip in London. Then heading to Scotland and lastly off to Ireland. My question is where in Scotland is a better homebase for touring? We won't be renting a car or anything. Just taking a day trip or two and exploring locally. My husband and I just went to Dublin for our anniversary and realized we should have booked our trip to Shannon or Cork for the more scenic view of Ireland. I don't want to make that same mistake by staying in Edinburgh if Inverness is a better central location to the scenic parts of Scotland. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The Baxter's and Stewart's

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
London
London
England, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Gods Country...
Level Contributor
765 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh or Inverness???

Depends totally on the type of experience you wish to see.

Inverness great for exploring the Highlands, mountains etc etc Fort William, Aberdeen, Perth

Edinburgh bit more touristy, castle, museums, tartan shortbread tins, Roslyn Chapel - easy access to Glasgow, Linlithgow, Stirling, Falkirk, Perth.

Both would have access to the other areas and this would depend on the type of travel you wish to use. Hiring a car means Inverness is fine. But if you want to rely on public transport and do day trips then Edinburgh is a major hub for all forms of transport and would be your better bet.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Linlithgow
Linlithgow
West Lothian, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Stirling, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh or Inverness???

Places like Loch Lomond and Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, Trossachs, are accessible from Edinburgh, Glasgow or Stiirling.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Trossachs Holiday Park
Trossachs Holiday Park
85 Reviews
Aberfoyle, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh or Inverness???

To be honest you wouldn't go wrong with either (although there is a lot more to see in Edinburgh itself than Inverness)

However I'd suggest Glasgow above both - it is right on hand for scenic countryside at loch lomond- or the Trossachs plus if you don't want to hire a car you could take the train up to Fort William - or even spend a night there and take a further train trip to Mallaig - absolutely stunning scenery. Fort William is probably the best location from the scenic point of view, but is not a very attractive destination in itself, so I hesitate to suggest it. Also if you do stay in Glasgow and are unlucky with the weather there is plenty to see there - plus you can easily take the train across and spend a day in Edinburgh (which is a city well worth seeing).

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Trossachs Holiday Park
Trossachs Holiday Park
85 Reviews
Aberfoyle, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Oregon
Level Contributor
310 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh or Inverness???

Here is an opinion of a Scot living in US for 40 years. I think Edinburgh would be more acceptable as a base for this trip. It is more tourist friendly, lots to see there, and a lot of options for side trips. Yes, Loch Lomond and Glencoe area are lovely, you can do that too from Edinburgh, as well as explore the quaint fishing villages of Fife, visit "The Brittania" the Queens retired ocean liner, also Edinburgh is easier to navigate as far as shopping, mostly centered around Princes St. You can of course visit Glasgow for a day....

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Oregon
Level Contributor
310 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh or Inverness???

Forgot to mention, whilst Inverness is beautiful, side trips are somewhat limited (I lived there for 3 years), so I recommend Edinburgh. Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
6. Re: Edinburgh or Inverness???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 14:25