We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra Driving Time

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
24 reviews
Extra Driving Time

Should we add extra time as he had to do while driving in England? We found it took longer than what we were use to in the. USA.

11 replies to this topic
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Extra Driving Time

??? Extra time to what???

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,525 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Extra Driving Time

If you are referring to estimate times on Google Maps etc, then yes! Typically add 20%!

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
145 reviews
3. Re: Extra Driving Time

What do you need extra time for??? Where are you driving too and from and how long have you got?

Edited: 21 October 2017, 08:39
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
487 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Extra Driving Time

The title is 'extra driving time' so it's kinda obvious what she means. And yes, that would be wise op.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,966 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Extra Driving Time

Yes, you cannot expect to do the same average mph in Scotland as you do in the states, and why would you want to? It's a holiday, not a Top Gear challenge.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,892 posts
6. Re: Extra Driving Time

If you come across a straight road in the UK then it was either originally built by the Romans 2000 years ago (they built them straight so the Brits couldn't hide around a corner) or it's an airport runway.

Virtually everything else was designed for people on foot or riding horses so tends to take the line of least resistance. As a result UK roads tend to be narrow and have lots of curves.

Add to that some of the busiest roads on the planet...

Edited: 21 October 2017, 09:10
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
615 reviews
7. Re: Extra Driving Time

Not just the roads themselves, but you will want to stop to appreciate the scenery that you are passing through! Once you get off the main trunk roads and into the Highlands (or the Borders, an often overlooked historic area), then an average speed nearer to 40mph rather than 50mph could be more realistic.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
238 reviews
8. Re: Extra Driving Time

Once you are away from the motorway network you will probably average about 40-45mph. Large parts of the main road towards the Inverness area are also under average speed camera's limiting you to 50MPH, which in reality you will do about 40mph. If you are considering doing your trip in the next few months also consider lack of daylight and very low sunlight sitting on the horizon during daylight hours that can be blinding so Really good sunglasses are advisable.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 23:40
Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
145 reviews
9. Re: Extra Driving Time

I do a two hundred mile run in a car size van every Friday in the area to the West and South of London which involves a mix of motorways (M4,M25,M3), major A class roads, and crisscrossing the outer parts of London on speed restricted dual carriageways or ordinary roads.

My firm tells me that it should take 4 1/2 hrs, I rarely get back in less than six and a half. The best I ever did was a couple of weeks ago where I averaged 38.5mph overall and the roads were very good with no holdups. One week I left at 0830 and got back at 1725 (8hrs 55mins) and that included a short break on the Hogs Back for a cup of tea.

Totally unpredictable, but as remarked earlier take no notice of the AA or other route providers they assume you can travel at 70mph all the time which isn't feasible. Stick to an average of less than 40mph and it might be more accurate.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 09:02
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
10. Re: Extra Driving Time

"Large parts of the main road towards the Inverness area are also under average speed camera's limiting you to 50MPH"

The speed limit for cars on the A9 is 60mph - the posted 50 mph signs are for HGV's (ie heavy goods vehicles) - there do seem to be a number of car drivers who don't read the signs properly and stick religiously to 50.

Reply to: Extra Driving Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted