We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

I am coming over in July and I will be driving around the country in a car. I knoticed that most of the rental cars appeared to not have Air Conditioning, and those that did were much more expensive. Does the weather get hot enough to need air conditioning in July? What would you advise?

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

On balance probably not, most of the hotels, B&B's, shops etc here don't have it.

Only in the last three or four years have most cars started to have A/C as standard. Although obviously it makes life more comfortable. Honestly opening a window is usually enough.

As to hot enough in July.......I hope so but I won't hold my breath.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

Not to worry about heat too much - what a scot would call hot is just a mild spring day in texas.

Had customers last year, he flew in from Iraq, wife from Texas, Kid from Colorado - and all three commented on the cool fresh air and 'sleeping with open windows and without air-con'. This was in August!!

It can get a little hotter in a car, but just open the windows and enjoy the country air - farmers spraying muck is more of a nuisance than a scottish heatwave

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

I wouldn't be without my air conditoning, especially when its raining - it stops the windows misting up on the inside. There were plenty of hot days last year when I was thankful for it, but coming from Texas you may not feel its worth the extra money to get aircon in your car. What we call scorching hot weather you would probably think of as nicely warm!

bon voyage:-)

Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

What do you consider warm, temperature wise? What is the average temperature for July? Is the temperature consistent around the country, or is the northern parts cooler than the southern parts? To be honest, I had assumed that all B&B had air conditioning, so thanks for the heads up.

David

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

I think you'll be struggling to find a B&B with AC. Most hotels won't have it either -probably only hotels in the cities.

I have AC in my car and wouldnt be without it. I used it a couple of days ago for the first time this year.

It's impossible to say what the typical temperature will be in summer. Last year was very hot by our standards but it could be cool this year.

Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

As a reference, the temperatures in July for my part of Texas average between 36.6 Celsius to 45.5 Celsius for the hotest parts of the day. Of course everyone has airconditioning in their cars and homes down here, so this is never a problem because indoors is typically much cooler.

If the B&B don't have AC, then I suspect we should be fine if the car didn't have one either.

Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

There was a typo in my last post. I meant to say that temperatures averaged from 36.6 to 40.5 Celsius, and not 45.5 Celsius (although on some years, it does hit 45 Celsius)

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

Here's Edinburgh's averages

bbc.co.uk/weather/…

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

The daily average maximum for Glasgow in July is apparently 19.It can get a bit warmer inland but we don't get Texas temperatures.

However the weather is completely unpredictable now.We had a very mild winter and at present temperatures are much higher than normal.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need Air Conditioning in car?

It really depends on how much more expensive it is. When I swopped my car a couple of years ago air-con was a definite must - I'm sure its not hot here by Texan standards, but it can be a bit uncomfortable.

Do you have the option to decide depending on the weather forecast? Lots more of our rental cars have air-con than they used to...