We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to book accommodation?

London
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need to book accommodation?

Just planning a trip for a couple of weeks time probably starting on the 2nd July or thereabouts. Thinking of two nights Arran, two nights Mull and two nights Skye before maybe heading towards Loch Ness (not yet decided) before we head home.

My question is do we need to book hotels or B&B's or is it possible to just turn up and still find accommodation fairly easy, making it possible for us to be a bit more flexible as to where we go. Same applies to the ferry crossings to the isles, do they get full. I know it is impossible to say definitely but any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Best Seller
Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands...
1,901 reviews
from US$63.10*
Likely To Sell Out
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
467 reviews
from US$321.00*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
88 reviews
from US$315.40*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
168 reviews
from US$573.30*
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

Most of the Scottish state schools break up for the summer holidays round about that time so you couldn't be guaranteed to find something easily in these popular areas. I would think ferry bookings for Arran and Mull would be very necessary for this time especially if you want to take your car. Obviously that isn't such an issue for Skye as you can get there over the bridge! Google "Caledonian MacBrayne" for more ferry information. Good Luck!

PS the 1st 2 weeks of July are also the Edinburgh "Trades fortnight" and lots of local people take their holidays then.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

There was a recent thread on this forum you might find interesting.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k1086…

Someone was planning the same sort of trip and it generated a discussion on winging it versus booking ahead.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

You can wing it, but it is unlikely you will find places either quickly or conveniently.

As you are going to specific places (eg Mull, Arran) you might as well pre-book. Its not as if you can leave the island at 7pm and start searching the mainland for a B&B.

Definitely need car booking for ferries. www.calmac.co.uk. Its not worth the risk of not getting to the island when you want.

London
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

Thanks for the advise, will get an itinery sorted out over the next day or so and see what I can book.

5. Re: Do we need to book accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:18