We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested campsites...

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested campsites...

Hi all,

am taking my girlfriend camping for the first time this weekend and am looking for campsite suggestions. If she dosent like it we may never go again.......

any suggestions are welcome

thanks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested campsites...

Depends how much luxury you're after and how far you want to travel. We often go to Tayvallich as it is a lovely little village and the campsite is right next to a pub that does great food. Facilities aren't top notch but the setting is great (watch out for the sheep that roam the site). You would also then be very close to Kilmartin Glen and could explore the standing stones.

If you want just a short drive try Ardgarten. Only an hour to an hour and a half from Glasgow and lots of great walks. Can be a bit midgey!

For more luxury try the wigwams at Loch Lomond (I've heard tell that some of them are heated and have points for hairdryers).

For a more lively atmosphere try the red squirrel up at Glencoe or camp near the hotel at Bridge of Orchy. Lots of outdoorsy folk drinking beer and telling stories.

Also, I have never tried it but I have seen people camping in the ruined castle at Castle Lachlan - no facilities and a bit spooky but potentially very romantic. You would also be very well placed to go to Inver Cottage for an amazing lunch or dinner.

Hope this helps.

F

x

central scotland
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested campsites...

Try the bein glass campsite on the A82 just south of Crainlarich. Excellent facilities and a pub on site. Just across the river there is the brilliant Drovers inn, live music and surely one of Scotlands best pubs

3. Re: Suggested campsites...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2008, 16:47
Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested campsites...

Thanks guys,

Ended up going to Glen Nevis campsite at Fort William, as for the midges.......

Used avon skin so soft but also bought candles with citronella in them and they worked a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested campsites...

thats great !is the site close to/overlook water??

thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested campsites...

There's a small river just opposite the campsite thats a very popular place to cool off in and paddle. I can vouch for the fact that the water is very cold, but its enjoyable none-the-less. Take all the skin-so-soft and

citronella you can lay your hands on and you'll have a great time there. Glen Nevis is a very popular campsite, so book up asap.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested campsites...

thanks very much i will try that one sometime

8. Re: Suggested campsites...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:24