We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Hello everyone..

I had orginally planned a trip to Scotland for last fall, but had to cancel because of a death in the family. :(

I am rescheduling for September, and wanted to get some ideas on Scotland's weird and unusual! I will be renting a car and will have access to the less explored corners...let me give you an idea of what I am looking for:

Haunted sites..probably there are many..which are recommended?

Spectacular graveyards

Fossil digs (if any)

Offbeat museums

Weird places...places with odd histories attached, unusual architecture...hidden treasures that are off the beaten path of the average tourist. In fact, the more away from big cities the better..it's easier to drive in the country.

I look forward to your input and will follow up your suggestions with research on the net to plan the weirdness. :)

Thanks very much!

Cynthia

Seeker of the Odd

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

when i saw that title i thought you were talking about the scottish TA people.

Throw a stick anywhere in Scotland and you will find the Weird, Unusual and Strange.

Edinburgh alone has enough in ghost and goullies,weird and wonderful,to keep anyone going,every part of scotland has stories of strange events witched and warlocks,strange and macabre.

don't know where you plan on being based but once you find that out we can try with more specifics.

Now is the time for you do do some homework.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186485-s1/Scotland:U…

this has a fairly comprehesive list of everything to do with Scotland have a look at all the historic links and get an idea of what tickles your fancy or scares your panties.you may have to get some help.

for weird museums you can't go past the Royal college of surgeons Museum in Edinburgh

http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/museums/information

hopefully this will get you started have fun going through the websites on that link, and hopefully we can help you a bit more once your plans start to form.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Thanks Uncle Gus..I will check out that link..and if anyone else has anything more specific to add here, please pipe in...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Most of the Old Town in Edinburgh comes under the category of "Weird, Unusual and Strange!" - doubly so at this time of the year when you can see inverted purple cows!!!

How about vaults where body snatchers stored their bodies or a graveyard where a wee dug stayed by it's master's grave or buried streets or haunted vaults / graveyards.

If you start with "walking tours edinburgh" you'll get enough Weird, Unusual and Strange to keep you going for years

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Hello again SerafinsGirl, I remember you posting a similar question last year and I'm sorry you didn't make it to Scotland then. However, now you plan another trip and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Again I can suggest you come up to Royal Deeside! This website has just been updated http://www.royal-deeside.org.uk/index.htm and will give you lots of information about the weird, unusual and strange in this part of Scotland. The site is a large one with 150 pages to it, so if you put in the details mentioned you then need to click on "Site Map for Royal Deeside" and then click on "History and Folklore" . Hopefully you will find enough there to whet your appetite!

Stockholm
Level Contributor
317 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Don't miss the Necropolis in Glasgow city centre. There are so many gob-smacking examples of Victorian excess in the tombs and gravestones there, that it really does take hours just to wander around. And the view from the hilltop is fantastic!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

www.gemini-crinan.co.uk/corryvreckan.html

The most unusual place I've been to in Scotland has got to be the Corrievreckan Whirlpool.

Even the Royal Navy refuse to sail across it and to do so risks court-martial.

You've got to go there on a small boat to experience the full force of the tides and waves. Awesome, as they say. And for once, they are right!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,881 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

One of the rooms in the Tulloch Castle Hotel Dingwall is meant to be haunted.

For mistical stones etc. the Orkney Islands are wonderful

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,881 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

p.s. Glamis Castle is also said to be haunted

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,338 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Stirling Castle is haunted by the "Green Lady" apparently. There is a very ancient cemetery right by the esplanade which most people miss by going straight into the castle. the Ghost Walk tours of the surrounding area are also good as is the very creepy Auld Jail down the road from the castle

There is a little know but important place called Cambuskenneth Abbey on the outskirts of Stirling where King James III is buried along with his queen, Margaret.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/stirling/cambuske…

Its mainly a ruin but the main bell tower is still standing and there is no charge to look around.

There is a nice little pub in the village there for a bar lunch called The Abbey.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,338 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scotland's Weird, Unusual and Strange!

Oh & I forgot to mention Doune Castle where they filmed Monty Python & the Holy Grail. Don't forget to take your coconut shells :-)