We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic

Alrighty. 37 days to our trek through Scotland and counting. The anticipation is mounting. Do we have enough time? Do we have enough days? What shoudn't we miss? Questions, questions, questions. But, what are the answers?

Well posters, here is your chance to opine! So, what do you think?

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

Crathes Castle near Banchory here on Royal Deeside.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,843 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

Craigmillar castle on the outskirts of Edinburgh is lovely,I pass it every day on my walk to work.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,993 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

Statistically, Edinburgh.

For me, Dunrobin. But then I am abke to appreciate tiger skin rugs and elephant's feet umbrella-stands as being from another era.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

sorry guys,

Eilen Donan castle on the road to Skye just before the Kyle of Lochalsh wins hands down.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,769 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

Yeah Eilean Donan is probably the most iconic after it was featured in the Highlander movie however for me it has to be Stirling. For centuries one of the most importand buildings in Scotland and you probably get the best views from there of all the Scottish castles IMHO. Anyway as a local lad I have to vote it my favourite don't I.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

If I recall from your earlier post, you'll be staying in Stirling, so you will surely want to see the castle there. I'll echo peterscot's reply to one of your other #1 questions and recommend 'Scotland the Best' by Peter Irvine for recommendations of this sort in all categories.

You also might want to have a look at this site and navigate to the sections on Scotland (and cast your own votes after your trip):

http://uktv.co.uk/history/britainsbest

Enjoy.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

Without a doubt, Eilean Donan! Worth the drive there; will have lots of tourists but so will everywhere else.

8. Re: What is Scotland's No. 1 Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 19:17