We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bikes etc...driving

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bikes etc...driving

Hi guys still palnning the trip and posted on Lake District too---I have looked at the brochures on cycling in scotland and wonder can anyone asnwer a couple questions:

1) can we rent good bikes and equipments? I don't want to drag bikesd--we really are only nonserious bikers, no mountain bikes just easy.....

2) the rides I see look pretty hard core--any rides that are eays pleasant non-hills, and preferably not much traffic? We really don't want to be road pizzas, just bike easy around some great scebnery. I would love to do the avvey borders routes to see the abbeys but it looks like it could take us days---I wqonder if there is anyway to enjoy bikes without being a triathlon contestant.

Thanks--also---has anyone ever driven from Lake district to Gloucester (the Vale)? Is it long or how are the roads, etc...??? Thanks all!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bikes etc...driving

try www.theaa.co.uk or www.viamichelin.com for route planning.

Lakes to Gloucester is a straight, long cruise down the M6 and then M5 motorways. At a guess, 270 miles (at 60 mph, 4-5 hours).

For cycling, try the Cyclists Touring Club, (CTC) and Sustrans, who build cycle paths - usually traffic-free or traffic-light.

Don't know about cycle renting, except that there is a place near Loch Katrine in the Trossachs. Scotland doesn't have many flat bits, so you need something with a wide range of gears.

Also look at www.yell.com - online yellow pages - for businesses in certain areas

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bikes etc...driving

http://guide.visitscotland.com/

Or even better, why not go to the official tourist site and type in "cycle hire"? Lots of options....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bikes etc...driving

Thanks Peterscot---I was wondering what sustrans was----and glad you told us that Scotland is hilly. I think we will confine ourselves to Lake District and do walks in Scotland. I am seriously needing to work on endurance and a hill could do me in, unfortunately, not much time in my schedule for the gym, etc...Thanks also for the info on the lakes to gloucester drive.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bikes etc...driving

Not all Scotland is that hilly. If you are reasonably fit then maybe cylcing along the Forth and Clyde canal route (Edinburgh to Glasgow) might be more up your street and is mainly off road on the towpaths which run alongside the canal. The canal was recently re-opened as a waterway and some parts are quite picturesque.

Dunno where you are plannig to stay but you can also cycle from Glasgow to Loch Lomond on the West Highland way. Here is an article about it

bikemagic.com/news/…332138698621328475276

Loch Lomond is spectacular and one of Scotlands largest lochs. I would get to the gym rigth away though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bikes etc...driving

RonaldoC--that is a great site you sent me, I am waiting for the story to boot up, but it is so far a wealth of bike info. We will rent some bikes just for easy things. My husband can mountainbike but I really hate going uphill. The canal route you mention sounds great because it has bike paths so you don't have to mix with cars...that sounds excellent./ . The only place i know that has no hills of any kind and is a cyclers dream is Holland.

6. Re: bikes etc...driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 03:17