We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geological Sites in Scotland?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Geological Sites in Scotland?

My sister is coming to visit me from the States and she wants to see some "geological points of interest" in Scotland. Does anyone have any ideas on some good places to visit to see some rock formations and the like? (I'd rather be in the pub myself, but this is her shout.) I'm located in the Central Belt, so some things in the southern half would be preferable to the northern half - but I'll take any suggestions I can get!

Thanks in advance!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Geological Sites in Scotland?

Have a look at the Scottish Natural Heritage site for geological information and plenty more stuff besides! http://www.snh.org.uk/

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Geological Sites in Scotland?

For further afield in Assynt try the European Geopark;

europeangeoparks.org/isite/page/43,1,0.asp…

Quote:

The North West Highlands of Scotland became a European Geopark at the annual meeting of the European Geopark Network in Sicily, in October 2004. The Geopark is located in the far north west of Scotland in Assynt region.

The Geopark contains some of the most important and diverse geological and geomorphological features in Britain. The unique landscapes strikingly reflect the underlying geology. Geologically, the area is dominated by the internationally important Moine Thrust Zone, which runs from north to south.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Geological Sites in Scotland?

Hi

I'd second Arthur's seat - an amazing hill in a city and a super viewpoint.

Near Glasgow, Conic Hill, not far from Balmaha gives you a good view of the Highland fault line crossing loch lomond as a string of wee islands - and lovely views too.

and arran too...

14. Re: Geological Sites in Scotland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 06:17