We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

I have checked the weather and it seems 50's (10c) with wind and rain for next week. I have researched all the packing threads on this board. I understand layers is the way to go. But my biggest fear is overpacking.

I have an insulated rain coat

2 prs of jeans

3 longsleave t-shirt type shirts

1 red sweater

1 pr black dress pants

Will I need a heavy coat?

While we won't go anywhere too dressy for dinner are pants and a sweater appropriate in most dining rooms? or do I need a skirt and heels? (I think pubs are probably on our dining list)

The whole 50 degree thing has me thrown off-- not hot and not cold?? but with rain I know sometimes it can seem colder.

Those of you who live there-- what are you wearing right now?

BTW here in VA its 85 degrees-- no fall weather yet!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,769 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

Where did yu get a forecast for next week? I would not trust anything over four or five days. Also depends on where you are going.

Last week I was there and a couple of days were without a jacket and quite nice in Stirling. Forecast on the BBC from the Met office for the weekend says Sunny and 15C but that could change. I think you are going to Edinburgh right? Usually a little milder on the east coast. I think what you have packed should be OK. You won't need a skirt and heels for pubs unless you want to dress up (I am assuming you are female but you never know these days :-)). A heavy coat shold not be required until it gets a bit colder. Maybe take a light sweater or zipper also if you have room in your case

As I always say take layers and have a nice vacation.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

"1 pr black dress pants"

Lol. This just reminds me how my Scottish friends have to remind me all the time that the correct term in Scotland for pants is trousers. Pants, are, well, umm... the male version of panties!

Just had to share....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,843 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

50 f is still considered summer weather here,so it's t-shirts and shorts for most folk (just kidding)

layers is the way to go,if you have a sweater and an insulated raincoat you should be fine.

the weather has been very nice lately ,quite cold in the early morning and late evening but has been quite warm during the core period of the day,so wear things than can be taken off easily and carried if you are lucky enough to get a bit of warmer weather.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

If you feel the cold, bring gloves and scarf, or you might find the rare shop which sells such things. This should keep the extremities warm and the rest of you cosy. If its not that cold, take them off.

Most people here have at least a couple of fleeces, and wear them.

"No such thing as bad weather - only inappropriate clothing".

BTW - what do you do with jeans once they get wet? I'd suggest at least one pair of walking trousers which are warm and quick to dry. Again, we have shops which sell these.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

You don't mention shoes. I recommend that you bring a decent pair of comfortable shoes that are suitable for walking up and down Edinburgh's steep hills and cobbled streets. If you take any of the walking tours that go into the vaults the floors are uneven and dusty, so bear this in mind. I never go anywhere without a second pair of shoes in case one pair get wet or start killing my feet from all the footslogging. Why not make your second pair slightly smarter than the first pair.

Its worth carrying a bag that you can slip one of your layers into when the going gets hot inside those shops and museums, and Peterscot makes a good point about having an easy to dry pair of trousers just in case (heaven forbid) it rains, and a scarf in case you feel the chill.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

You've been given great advice but I would add another sweater if I were you. If it's a high in the 50s....and sometimes rainy....you'll be wearing a sweater and the insulated jacket every day. I personally would get bored with the same sweater every day.

When we went in August, I wore a long sleeved or short sleeved shirt plus a fleece every morning. Added a rain jacket when needed. And I took a silk scarf to dress up outfits but also with the idea that I could use it to keep the cold off of my neck if necessary. Never used it that way but our weather was warmer.

Have a wonderful time....we did! And you won't have to deal with the August crowds

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

The weather here is incredibly changeable - I travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh every day and the weather is very often quite different in each city and continues to change throughout the day. One day this week I left the house with gloves and a scarf, walked from the station with a brolly, and went out at lunch time with just a cardigan and ate on a bench in the sunshine.

I agree another sweater would probably be good - it can be bitterly cold at night especially when the skies are clear. Also, depending on what you are planning you might want some trousers that are not jeans - if you are up a hill and get them wet they will be heavy, cold and will take ages to dry.

Have a great trip,

F

x

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

Hi. We just back and this is what I had packed. We were in Scotland for 19 days. I had:

4 cotton long sleeved t-shirts

2 cotton turtle-necks, one of which had wicking properties

1 quilted vest (that matched all the t-shirts)

1 wool sweater

1 gore-tex lined rain jacket

3 cotton trousers (could have done with 2)

1 tilley hat

2 pairs of shoes (one hiking which I wore on the plane and 1 pair of runners) I brought 2 pairs just in case 1 pair got wet. But the hikers were waterproof and I sprayed both shoes with a water repellent.

I found that in the mornings I sometimes needed the turtle neck with vest and wool sweater (jumper to some) and jacket, but then during the day, unless it was showery, I'd leave the jacket in the car.

Didn't wear anything different to the pubs. They are very casual, and most of them at this time of year will have a fireplace going so will be quite warm and cosy.

Hope this helps, have a great vacation.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

Mommajack,

bring the clothes you have planned, following is the forecast from the metoffice, doesn't look like a lot of rain while you are over in scotland no need for a heavy coat - but then you are from warmer climes - another vest/fleece/sweater would probably suffice

UK Outlook for Monday 8 Oct 2007 to Wednesday 17 Oct 2007:

Areas of cloud may be thick enough to bring some light drizzle in parts of the south at first, and there is a low risk of some outbreaks of rain moving eastwards across the UK next Monday and Tuesday. Otherwise it should be generally dry with high pressure bringing fine conditions with some sunny spells and perhaps some early morning mist and fog patches. Winds will be light in the main with temperatures around or a little above normal, perhaps warm in the sunnier parts of the south. Some ground frost patches may develop under any overnight clear spells. By the start of the second week, more unsettled and breezier conditions could spread from the west across all parts for a brief time before high pressure reasserts itself.

Updated: 1331 on Wed 3 Oct 2007

Have a great time!!!

10. Re: Last question I promise :) leaving in 2 days- PACKING issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 00:16