We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
maryland
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

I've been reading and researching for only a short time but I really think I need an insider to point me in the right direction.

My dad has always wanted to visit with/talk to locals- especially local fishermen. He has mentioned the Outer Hebrides- Or are there other islands that would be better suited for that? Orkney Islands? Can anyone point me to the right area/website/info to get started?

I know there are beautiful beaches, lots of birds and lots to do historically, which is why I'll probably go with him ;0) but I want to make sure he is happy (doesn't take much- some fish & chips and an evening with the locals and possibly some small boat rides to go out fishing)

Also, we are hoping to go in late March to get cheaper airfare, but if you tell me it is just a total waste of time (terrible weather, nothing open) I'll try to bump him to April.

Any advice for me? I surely appreciate it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

Do you mean the guys who stand with a rod at the side of a river, or the ones who trawl around the North Atlantic in all weathers?

More daylight and probably (!) better weather in April. Also avoids Easter.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

visitscotland.com

there's a couple of good orkney sites, but I don't have them to hand. Google shuold find them quickly.

Orkney has local fishermen as do the hebrides. Main ports are Mallaig and Oban and Ullapool (mainland of Scotland) ; Stromness and Kirkwall on Orkney mainland) and Stornoway on Lewis. Hope this helps.

maryland
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

Thanks for your reply. Not the riverside fishermen- I guess the deep sea trawlers are more like it but I think he has in mind the old guys puttering around on their little boats (which he does here when he gets the chance) I guess we may be able to go to any island port and just hang around- but we don't particularly want beaches. Think small fishing village.

I've been reading the general travel sites and overwhelmed with lots of good info so I'll keep reading.

Have you ever been to Homer, Alaska? Like that.. but in Scotland (I just got back from Homer and wish I had stayed longer.. )

All advice appreciated!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

Hi -

Sorry don't know Homer.

Almost anywhere on the west & north coast of Scotland has fishing. That's why they are there. The ports I mentioned are the main ones and are also ferry ports, but there are scores of places. Also Skye, Islay, Mull for islands.

Don't forget much of Scotlands fish now comes from fish farms - not quite as picturesque as of old.

One excellent place is Crinan - the small boats unload there for the hotel on the quayside and also for the lorries to take the seafood to Spain!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

Hi Pokemom, when we were researching Scotland for our trip last year, we came across Craufurdland Castle. The family, the Craufurd-Houisons ( not sure if I've spelt that last name correctly), own Craufurdland Woods and offer fishing from boats on their private lake. Simon Craufurd is apparently the person to contact.

Here's the link:

http://www.craufurdland.co.uk/

We really wanted to visit this area because my penpal originally came from there; but went to Orkney instead ( where said penpal currently lives!).

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

A colleague of mine goes to Harris every year. Her partner and her are great fisherpeople(?) and they say that the local fishermen are very friendly and one even taught her to make her own lobster pots which she did and they work!!

The beaches there are some of the most beautiful in Britain and generally you may be a bit luckier with the weather on that side of the country but there are no guarantees in Scotland!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

peterscot has some good suggestions there but I'll throw another one at you - you could do worse than try the East Neuk of Fife, a part of Scotland with a chain of small, traditional fishing villages (particularly Crail with its lovely old harbour).

East Neuk is where you will also find Anstruther and the Anstruther Fish and Chip shop, which was awarded best fish and chip shop in Britain a number of times - and well worth it, the fish and chips are fantastic.

Fife is an easy drive from Edinburgh across the river Forth - or you can take the train and cross the Forth Rail Bridge, but getting about in Fife then, particularly if you want to visit the coastal fishing villages, really needs a car (or reliance on the local buses) as the train mostly travels in-land once past Kirkcaldy.

Just another one to think about!

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

I'll agree with Jack. The east neuk has those pretty fishing villages and there are plenty of opportunity to chat with the fishermen as they bait their pots and what not. It stinks, but I loved it. Being from landlocked Kansas it was my first opportunity to climb around a boat and see all the equipment and how it worked. And of course Anstruther has the best fish and chips that I have ever eaten.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

I'll also agree with Jack about the East Neuk. Crail, Pittenweem and Anstruther are working fishing ports and really accessible. I have loads of pictures of the harbours and boats taken there this summer. I'll post them on the site tomorrow if I get the time. Click here for some I've already posted.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g186529-Fife_Scotlan…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

You've already got some great suggestions there and I'm sure a great time could be had at any of them. I'm very fond of the East Neuk region and it's very easy to access. As pleasant as Craufurdland Fisheries and Woods surely are, they probably won't have quite the wow factor as the coastal suggestions. It might however offer a safe haven in times of wilder weather. It is a small inland loch and there are plenty of them to choose from should you choose to stick to the south of Scotland. An interesting piece of trivia about Craufurdland Woods - there is an environmentally friendly burial ground there where you can be laid to rest in a wicker coffin below your very own tree. We are very fond of putting people in wicker in the south west!

If you can push the trip out to April you'll be able to take advantage of longer days, more important perhaps if you intend making the journey further afield to the island and highlands.

Another vote for a visit to the best chippie in Scotland, the harbourside Anstruther Fish Bar! It really is a case of 'out of the sea and into the fish fryer'.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: finding local fishermen- can anyone help?

You know purple, I am a Crawford and I think I should be buried in wicker under my own tree when the time comes. That is a very interesting tidbit.