We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Scotland, staying in Aberdeen

Pitman, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Scotland, staying in Aberdeen

My husband has business for a week in December in Aberdeen, Scotland and I am tagging along. I would like to take a few day trips to other areas using Aberdeen as my home base. Any recommendations?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Scotland, staying in Aberdeen

Hi

There are lots of options, depending on what interests you:

For scenery, driving out Deeside to Braemar is beautiful. Braemar is a small village, but does have a nice cafe (Taste) and gallery.

For castles you are spoilt for choice - Dunnottar castle near Stonehaven is a spectacular ruin, or Crathes Castle has lovely gardens.

Elgin is an interesting town, with medieval buildings and a lovely cashmere shop and factory, with really lovely woollens.

Aberdeen itself has some interesting parts - old aberdeen is attractive to wander round, with a lovely campus dating from the 1400s.

Hope this helps. www.agtb.org gives lots more ideas.

Leidschendam, The...
Level Contributor
53 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Scotland, staying in Aberdeen

Don't forget the castles Drum and Breamar. The lyn of Dee, The Royal Lochnagar distillery, Loch Muick and Ballater the former end vilolage where Queen Victoria left the train and went on by coach to Balmoral castle. A small part of the railroad has been re-established near Crathes Castle

Indeed a lot to do along Deeside

Leidschendam, The...
Level Contributor
53 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Scotland, staying in Aberdeen

I forgot, want to see a bit of the influence of Queen Victoria on Ballater see:

victoriaweek2007.the-scotchman.nl

england
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Scotland, staying in Aberdeen

Inverness and Loch Ness are not too far either, and you could take in the Battlefield at Culloden on the way.

5. Re: Visiting Scotland, staying in Aberdeen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:16