We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter weekend road trip advice

Boston...
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Easter weekend road trip advice

Hi all!

Me and 2 friends are flying into Edinburgh on Thursday March 20. I was hoping to spend Friday in Edinburgh and then on Saturday morning hop in a rental car and do a road trip to the highlands. We would fly out around noon on Tuesday. Here are my questions:

* is this distance doable in the time we have? We want to just sightsee and relax, stay in B&Bs, etc.

* what is Scotland like over Easter? I live in Switzerland and everything is closed Friday thru Monday.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter weekend road trip advice

leotrvlr,

Easter weekend will be busy but pretty much everything will be open. Also, because it's a holiday for a lot of people here, there will be special events in most places. Allow extra time for travelling and if the weather is good, prepare yourself for the shock of traffic jams around popular places and they first sightings of blue Scottish skin!

Timewise, 3 days, well you'll get some highlights in, but don't try and do too much. My advice would be to pick a few 'must dos' and go from there.

Any questions just ask.

Emelda

Boston...
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter weekend road trip advice

Hi Emelda:

Thanks so much. We are fine with just driving thru the landscape and are not too worried with seeing everything. I have tried to judge the driving time between Edinburgh and inverness but I don't feel I have a good sense of it. Do you have a rough idea (traffic notwithstanding)? I have wanted to go to Scotland for years and figure this will just be my first taste. Can't wait! Thanks for your advice!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter weekend road trip advice

Hi!

I'd say around 3.5 hours from Edinburgh to Inverness.

I find this website really useful: www.theaa.co.uk

if you go to the middle of the first page you will find a route planner, which you can type in the town or the postcode of your departure and arrival points.

You can get a map, approximate timings, mileage etc.

Hope this helps!

Emelda

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter weekend road trip advice

Hi

if you are happy with the amount of driving you could do a loop up to Inverness, then down loch ness and round to fort william and back via Glencoe - the scenery in the west is quite different to that en route to inverness, so that would give you a different perspective.

I'd better stop now as a thousand and one other possible routes are suggesting themselves to me...

5. Re: Easter weekend road trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 00:16