We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

I was hoping someone could let me know if this rough itinerary I have come up with is doable or does it seem like too much driving and therefore too much time in the car.

We are planning about 10 days touring around the parts of the Higlands and Western Islands, although we can add on a couple of extra days if necessary.

I suppose I should let you know it would be me, my wife and 2 sons travelling. The kids will be 4 and almost 2 years old by the time we go - which will be sometime around the beginning of July.

I have come up with a kind of figure of eight route.

Day 1 - Belfast to somewhere around Loch Lomond via the Larne/Troon ferry.

Day 2 - Loch Lomond to Fortwilliam & Ben Nevis

Day 3 - Fortwilliam to Skye via the ferry from Mallaig

Day 4 - Around and about Skye

Day 5 - Skye to somewhere around Loch Ness and onto Inverness for the night

Day 6 - Inverness to Aviemore or somewhere else near the Cairngorms

Day 7 - Aviemore to Mull via the ferry from Kilchoan to Tobermory

Day 8 - Around and about Mull

Day 9 - Mull to somewhere around Loch Lomond via ferry to Oban

Day 10 - Loch Lomond back to Belfast via Troon ferry.

I have had a look at driving times on the AA route planner website. Could you trust the times generated by this? In my opinion it underestimates travelling times for routes in Ireland in areas where the roads arent that good.

We dont have a problem spending 2 or 3 hours driving as long as we can stop off now and again to visit somewhere or do something. Just dont want to be 6 or 7 hours driving anywhere.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

Why don't you go to Mull earlier in your trip - drive to Oban from Loch Lomond and cross to Craignure then drive to Tobermory.

You can then go to Fort William via the Lochaline Ferry and then either the long route via Glenfinnan or across at the Corran Ferry to Fort William. Then you can cross to Skye via Mallaig then Inverness & Loch Ness then Aviemore or perhaps Pitlochry and you can cut across country to Loch Lomond via the A85 and A82.

I just think the Aviemore to Mull part is not the best use of your time.

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks for that fofoma.

The logic behind my route was to allow me to drive through Glencoe and drive the Road to the Isles. I see the Aviemore - Mull drive is a long one but if it turns out to be the only really long drive in the trip then I could live with that. I could possibly travel down a bit closer to Fort William the evening before to make the drive a bit shorter

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

The Inverness to Aviemore leg is relatively short so you could push on to Kingussie or as far as Spean Bridge and that would cut down your trip to Mull.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice

If you are going Inverness to Aviemore on day 6, can I suggest that the kids would love to visit the outdoor adventure centre en route. http://www.landmark-centre.co.uk/index.htm My kids were only a little older than yours when we went on a snowy day at Easter a couple of years ago and had a ball. If you collect Tesco vouchers then you can use them to make it a free day out!.

There is also a great free playground in Aviemore right in the middle of the MacDonald hotel complex which is open to all and suitable for all ages.

Being a long time resident of Edinburgh I am disappointed that you are not coming here, but maybe when the kids are older you can come back again!

5. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 12:22