We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations on trains and buses

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations on trains and buses

Hi,

We leave for Scotland in 16 days, so excited. We have railpasses, but on checking some of the routes we plan to take, we note that sometimes reservations are advised. Does anyone know how far in advance one should make reservations? For instance, can you do it the day before and still make it onto the train? Or is a few hours sufficient? We want to be somewhat flexible as we are staying in B&B's and if we see something we like we might want to linger in a particular town or village before moving on to the next stop on our itinerary.

Also, what is the difference between a coach and a bus? I have been using traveline-scotland for some of the planning, and this is where I see this term (coach).

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations on trains and buses

The complete explanation of reservations is at www.nationalrail.co.uk/reservations.htm

Coach means long distance, inter-city bus (think Greyhound), bus means local and regional bus.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations on trains and buses

Hi

I hope you have a nice trip, I notice that you are due to arrive on 1st July. You may know that we are hosting the G8 summit this year and there is some disruption expected around the dates you will be in Scotland. Don't panic but can I advise you to follow the link to www.lbppolice.co.uk and plan your itinerary accordingly. There are certainly dates when you may wish to avoid Edinburgh and Perthshire and to make sure you have firm train reservations. I don't know what's in your itinerary but some revision now may save you hassle later.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations on trains and buses

sorry that link should read www.lbp.police.uk

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations on trains and buses

Thanks for the "heads up." I shall check out that website.

TripGal