We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

Toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

Hi I am from Canada.I would like to go to Scotland when the weather is sunniest.What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland in 7-14 days and what is the best package deal recommendations for bus tours with sleep accomodations?

regards Josie

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

The most beautiful are probably the most remote.

On the way there you could take in Loch Lomond and the upland valley above Glencoe, both of which I like. Further north is a huge rounded mountain called Liatharc which I like the look of but have never visited.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
399 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

A very broad question to which you'll, hopefully, get many responses...it probably depends a lot on what you define as beautiful places. Architecture, historic sites, ocean/mountain/etc. scenery? Few places in the whole of Scotland haven't left me with a sense of beauty.

As far as sunniest: You can find many sites, through any good search engine, that will give you weather "averages"; but that's all they'll be- averages. All you can really do is hope that if you schedule your holiday for a time of year and locale which is "normally" sunny that the weather will cooperate and hope for the best.

Sorry, I haven't been much help above and can be of none about bus tours...again, try search engines and, then when you have some possibilities, post the names to see if you can get some responses from forum members who've used them. Maybe some potential travel dates with your next post will help folks guide you.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

I would like to see a bit of everything in beauty Scotland has to offer.. eg both high and lowlands castles mountains lake river or waterfalls, museum and shopping. I would also want to buy a Weir tartan for my man. I will probably go either May or September.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

Weather in Scotland is really hit and miss. You could go in summer and see snow or it could be almost t shirt weather in February. Generally the East coast is drier than the west but a few degrees colder.

I am biased but there is so much beauty in Scotland it is so difficult to pick one thing. I love the view of The Old Town of Edinburgh from beside the Scott Monument on Princes Street and seeing the Forth Bridge from South Queensferry almost makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I think that it is such a Scottish icon.

Sorry, cannot help with the bus and accomodation part but i'm sure someone will before too long!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh Old Town
Edinburgh Old Town
13,104 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scott Monument
Scott Monument
2,441 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Princes Street
Princes Street
1,594 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Forth Bridge
Forth Bridge
616 Reviews
North Queensferry, UK
South Queensferry
South Queensferry
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

http://www.davidurquharttravel.co.uk/

this is a well known Scottish company that does tours all over Britain and may be of some use to you.

All of Scotland is beautiful,I love the Spey valley for its greenery,mountains ,rivers ,veiws and whisky distilleries.The rugged lanscape of Islay and the Orkneys never dissapoint,and the rolling low hills of the Borders are a delight.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Islay
Islay
The Hebrides, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
25,612 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

I think the mountain Dave means is Liathach which is in Torridon, a beautiful area with stunning scenery. Glencoe also gets a vote from me :-)

Mentioned in this post
Torridon
Torridon
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

hi

go may\june rather than september reason being that you get much longer days

in inverness in late june it wont get dark much before midnight

must sees are i guess edinburgh and perhaps st andrews

other than that i would say you want to be north and west

must dos

glencoe and loch lomond as has been said

also at least one island

mull\iona\staffa or skye

or if you can manage it lewis\harris - lovely sail from ullapool

also highly commended

oban fort william inverness

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

Sunniest I can help you with.

At least up to about 2004, the best day for weather in the UK, on average, has been 5th June. We were in northern Scotland on 5th June 2005 (Arndamurchan) & 2006 (Durness) and had quite astonishingly lovely days.

We didn't have enough leave last year to make it up north and I was at work on 5th but it was a reasonable day in a month that will long be remembered for rain and floods. This year we'll be on Mull so have some expectations set.

Most visitors to Scotland will have their own ideas about the most beautiful areas. I could come up with a list of 20 wonderful places, but I'll try and distil it a bit.

1. The isle of Muck. Hard to get to, not many places to stay. Absolutely incredible scenery in every direction and one of the most peaceful places I've ever visited. No traffic apart from the odd tractor.

2. Durness/Balnakeil/Cape Wrath. Some of the loveliest beaches in the world. The sunset from Balnakeil church is the best I've seen. Forget Santorini, the Sahara, the African bush and Cape St. Vincent - this is the real deal.

3. Ardnamurchan. Remote, wild and different. I could stand at the lighthouse looking at the view for hours, waiting for the occassional seal, whale or dolphin to put in an apperance. Come to think of it, I have done! Not a bad sunset there, either.

As has already been pointed out, some of the best places take some getting to. If you end up with 14 days to explore, at least try to spend a few of those days on the section of coast between Ullapool and Durness. There's beauty aplenty there.

Goanjock - BigDave's mountain looks like it should be Liathach, but rounded? I imagine from some aspects it might look rounded but that's not the usual perception. I wonder if Suilven as viewed from the Lochinver side might fit the bill. It's probably also the more "scenic" of the two when viewed from ground level - though that is very subjective of course.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Durness
Durness
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Cape Wrath
Cape Wrath
277 Reviews
Durness, UK
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Lochinver
Lochinver
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

Here's a rather nice shot of Liathach which shows a rounded aspect (just to disprove my own "theory")

www.flickr.com/photos/hockadilly/219201652/

and here's one of Suilven

…leeds.ac.uk/structure/…suilven.jpg

I would have used one off our own website but despite two mails to the ISP it's been out of commission for a few days - anyway this aerial shot is much better than any of ours.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
25,612 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the most beautiful places to go in Scotland ?

Great photo's :-) and to be honest Leathach didn't seem that rounded when I climbed it ;-)