We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west coast midges

Merseyside
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
west coast midges

We are planning a weeks tour in a motorhome from 9th July. Are we likely to encounter the dreaded midges on the west coastr at this time?

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: west coast midges

In one word YES

I suffer with bites and they sometimes become swollen, I have also tried lots of different sprays, lotions creams etc, but the one that worked for me is tesco wipes, the are really good, I also take Zirtek, this also helps.

Tesco do their own brand that are non drowsy.

I really envy you touring Scotland in a motorhome, have a great time.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: west coast midges

How did our motorhome trip go? We're planning to go for 3 weeks next March ('07) and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Annie Mac

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: west coast midges

Annie

One good thing is that you will not be troubled by Midges in March!

F

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: west coast midges

I barely saw any midges at all this year - it was way too dry - might be a different story in the highlands, though many people commented on the reduction.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: west coast midges

No PC they were all in my garden....!

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: west coast midges

I visited Scotland for almost the entire month of September. The only place we were bothered or accosted, rather, by midges was at the Calanais Stones on the Isle of Lewis. They're nasty little beasties let me tell you. I always thought it was a lot of hype until then. The woman at the gift shop gave us some bug spray which smelled horrible but it seemed to work. Sorry... I don't know the name of the stuff. I got away with just one nasty bite on front part of my lower leg. It was red and swollen for a little over 2 weeks and there is still a faint mark to this day. Moral of the story...be sure to pack some bug spray and enjoy your holiday!!!!!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: west coast midges

Oh dear...are they likely to be bad on Mull in August? I've promised my mother-in-law they won't be!!

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: west coast midges

Don't worry.......that's the kind of promise I'd make to my mother-in-law too. Great minds as they say :-)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: west coast midges

WACT don't panic - buy up all the supplies of Avons skin so soft light oil spray for use in the early morning and dust when the midges are most likely to come out to play, and hope for nice hot dry sunny days like we had this year.

If youre by the sea and there's a light breeze they'll buzz off anyway:-)

St. Louis, MO, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: west coast midges

OK, what the heck are midges?