We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car to See Scotland

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car to See Scotland

Trip Advisors:

We are going to the UK in July 2008 for a wedding. We'd like to tour Scotland and Ireland for about ten days before the wedding focusing on Edinburgh, Skye, Belfast, and Galway.

Would it make any sense to just rent a car in London and drive?

Thanks.

Matt

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

It's possible, but for only having 10 days, that is an awful lot of driving. And I personally as a yank, think nothing of longer drives that the locals would consider outrageous. But that said, these places are all very spread out.

My daughter and I are going to the UK in June and our rental car will take us from London, through Wales and then ferry to Ireland. But we are sticking southern Wales and the southeast area of Ireland. I know we could drive to just about anywhere and still log normal for us American miles, but we're just gonna putter along and stop wherever something piques our attention.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

Make sure your car hire firm will allow you to take the car "out" of the UK- Galway is in the Republic of Ireland- I believe some may prevent you from leaving "the country" with their vehicle.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

Trip Advisors:

Thanks for the thoughts. I found a link through Kayak.com that seems to let me rent from Edinburgh through Belfast, to Galway, and ending in Bristol. I will take your advise and verify with the firm.

We too, want to go as slow as we can and check things out. I am just not sure when or if I'll ever get back.

As of now, here are our plans:

London to Edinburgh (3 Nights), Skye (2 Nights), travel to Belfast (2 Nights), Galway (2 Nights), and on to Bristol (4 Nights).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Matt

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

How about getting from London to Edinburgh by train, renting the car only once you get out of Edinburgh?

Edi > Skye is likely to take a whole day, bearing in mind that the west of Scotland is incredibly scenic, you will not want to drive it straight (as if driving anywhere straight was possible in Scotland anyway ;) !). Please allow 2 full days to Skye, no less. First it fully deserves it, and second: if it's pissning on one of those 2 days, you can manage to see s/thing on the other day.

Driving to Belfast: manage to drive along the extraordinary Antrim Coast. Paradise on earth. Skye > Belfast: 1 driving day, providing you will stop for pics, and to pick up your jaw, which will tend to drop down pretty often because of the beauty of the scenery.

Arroyo Grande, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

Hello,

We are also doing a lot of miles this summer. Edinburgh-Orkney-and then west coast. Be sure you are comfortable with manual or pay a bit more for automatic shift. Lots of driving, but worth the beautiful scenery.

I'd be interested in what you find out about the best rental company.

Also, any tips on "deals" on petrol? Are prices exetreme like here in the U.S.???

CaliforniaScot

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

California,,, the last I heard petrol was between 9 and 10 USD per gallon. The good news is that the cars over there get really excellent gas mileage compared to the guzzlers we have here. Last summer when I was over there we spent about $140 on gas, but we drove EVERYWHERE on that amount. From Edinburgh, to Skye and loads of places in between so I didn't think that was bad at all. I spend close to that just commuting to work here in the states every week.

Personally, I rent from www.1car1.co.uk A lot of other people like the major rental firms and I do think they have relaxed their terms of sale somewhat since I researched my trip. But I am happy with 1car1 and will continue to use them. They are cheap, but their customer service is very helpful and always friendly. And they don't put a huge block on your credit card for "maybe someday damages". They are letting me ferry the car from Wales to Ireland this for my trip this summer. It cost an extra $200 to make it $413 for the entire 10 days, but still cheaper than flying to Ireland and renting a separate car over there.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

If you think you are paying extreme price for your gas, check out the current average price PER LITER in UK, in British pounds ... http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel ... you will soon find out that you're actually paying a ridiculous low price for it in the US ....

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

Trip Advisors:

We have a great friend who lives in Bristol, England. We are going over to celebrate her wedding.

She suggested that we rent a car to/from Edinburgh Airport; go to the Isle of Skye; return the car to the Edinburgh Airport; Fly to Belfast; rent another car for Belfast, Antrium Coast, and Galway; then fly from Belfast to Bristol.

I really underestimated the cost of ferries.

We are going to go with this itinerary. I can't wait to see Scotland, Ireland, and England.

Thanks for all of your help.

9. Re: Renting a Car to See Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:17