We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Scotland?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Scotland?

Hi! My husband and I were thinking about spending Christmas in Scotland this year. Are we crazy or is this a good idea?

We'd have about a week, and were looking at the Edinburgh area. Can anyone provide recommendations? Will things be open (especially restaurants)?

Any information is much appreciated! I've looked at some other sites on the web, but would like to get other travelers' opinions.

Thank you!

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Scotland?

Certain visitor attractions will be closed 25th & 26th such as Edinburgh Castle,Holyrood House...the Royal Yacht Britannia is only closed on the 25th. A lot of the shops will be open on Boxing Day and the Christmas Market will be on in Princes Street Gardens for December. You will have to book somewhere for dinner in advance for Christmas Day and pay a premium price unless you have self catering accommodation. I am also sure that you would find a convenience store open on Christmas Day as well if you looked hard enough.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
735 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Scotland?

Restaurants will certainly be open up to Christmas, but afterward, it just depends. Although the weather can be a bit bleak (damp & chilly), the season explodes with good will & festivities.

Plan to come before & leave soon after for your week's sojourn.