We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

Hello!

My daugher and I will be traveling in Scotland for 2 weeks in August. We have spent the past several weeks reading and researching the best way to use our time in travel and touring. Neither of us seems prepared to drive on the other side of the road, so we will have to take tours.

We will be "based" in Edinburgh for one week, then Glasgow for another week (then off to Ireland for week 3 - any additional suggestions about the Emerald Isle will be welcome! :-)

There is a challenge with us traveling: my daughter does not want to "run around" every single day of our trip (and I don't mind if that's what we need to do. So, we are trying to compromise on how we can see the Scottish Highlands, spend time in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Bottom line: we need help and suggestions on the "do not miss list" and the best way to do that. I know this a wide-ranging post, but we are open to suggestions and we want to be efficient with our time without buring ourselves out.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

I notice you say you will be "based" in Edinburgh for one week, then Glasgow. Does that mean that you would be happy to spend one(or two) nights away from these bases in order to see more of the area? I am thinking Edinburgh to Inverness on the train, stay a couple of nights in Inverness and maybe do trips from that base (bus or train)

Edinburgh will be very busy during The Festival but the atmosphere is amazing and you can just wander around soaking it all up.I'm sure the knowledgable TAs will be posting soon with ideas.

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

If I were you, I would base myself either in Edinburgh or Glasgow; but not both. They are sufficiently close together that travelling from one to the other is very easy. For example you could stay in Edinburgh for a week, see the sights of the city and also a include a couple of day trips using public transport to Glasgow and Stirling too.

Then head up to Inverness for a couple of nights if you want to go that far. Pitlochry would also be an option for another base for a few nights.

What do you really want to do, or see? What are your interests? The "do not miss list" can be endless!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

You do not necessarily have to take tours. Scotland has a fairly comprehensive public transport network. See

visitscotland.com/aboutscotland/explorebymap…

for example of an itinerary around Scotland without a car.

Duplicating Edinburgh and Glasgow is probably unneccessary. You can get a Central Scotland Rover train ticket between the two (and covering Stirling, Dunblane etc) for just over £10 a day (3 days out of 7)

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

I agree with Mistress Q - base yourself in either one or the other and go further North for your next base.

Glasgow could be done easily as a side trip from Edinburgh for instance or spend 5 nights in Edinburgh, 2 in Glasgow and then move on to Oban by train and spend 2/3 nights there - this gives you access to some of the islands such as Mull & Colonsay.

Bus on to Inverness for another few nights then train to Pitlochry or Dunkeld for a few nights and then back to Edinburgh or wherever you get your onward connection to Ireland. Thia will give you a good sense of Scotland and our beautiful country.

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

Thanks to all of you for your most helpful information! I forgot to mention when I originally posted that we are leaving a week early to go to Edinburgh (for fun) and possibly a day or two to the Highl;nds (thanks for the suggestions!). On week two, although it seems a but quirky, my daugher has a conference in Glasgow (and we really don't have a choice for that location). HOWEVER, she will work and I will play...and I might even be able to talk her into takikng a day or so off from her week long conference.

I apologize for not describing that originally as I am sure it seemed quite odd.

Nonetheless, we will take all your suggestions into account.

Here is what we are now thinking:

Take 2-3 days and travel up to Highlands, as you say, make Inverness our "jumping off" point. Will there be a complication if we do not hire a car? It sounds like we will be okayt even up that far North?

Then, after we must move to Glasgow (for her work), I/we will take your suggestions and make a day trip to St. Andrews and then a separate day trip to Stirling.

That way, we can maximize our time in Edinburgh, the City of Festivals, I understand! ;-) We can make it to the Highlands and then as we must move to Glasgow, I am taking some relief in knowing that I can easily do a couple day trips to fit in St. Andrews and Stirling.

Does that seem to make sense? Any other suggestions? I am too nervous to try driving on the left side of the road (and at 70 I am not surfe i want to learn and my daughter is not as adventurous as I am :-) so we will be using public transportation.

Thanks again for ALL the VERY helpful suggestions and insight! Any additional tips and input are certainly appreciated!! ;-)

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

Emelda brough my attention to a very good website which may help you when planning your trip :-

www.transportdirect.com

I can understand you not wanting to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and the site may help with planning your travels by public transport. This site may also be of use :-

www.traveline.org.uk

If you go to Inverness then you may wish to use Jacobite Cruises to take a couple of trips. They do various day trips which include Urquart Castle and Culloden Battlefield and well as Loch Ness.

http://www.jacobite.co.uk/

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

If you haven't already booked your accommodation in Edinburgh then do it right away as August is peak time with the city full of visitors and performers for the many festivals. Price is also at a premium so you may want to think about basing yourselves in Glasgow or outside Edinburgh and use Trains to get around. There is a regular train service between Ed and Gla every 15 minutes which takes about 45 minutes and is very efficient.

8. Re: 2 weeks--most efficient way to see the most?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 17:16