We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

Stockholm
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

Hello everybody,

I would highly appriciate any advice about our planned trip!

We're planning our first trip to Scotland, and we have about 6-7 nights, flying to and from Glasgow. I am roughly thinking about this route: Glasgow - Edinburgh - Inverness - Isle of Skye - Glasgow (or the other way around). We're going by car and I think I would like to book the hotels/b&b:s in advance.

We are interested in sights, nature, and we don't mind spending time in the car if you can see great sceneries while you're driving! And, we don't like whiskey, so we won't be spending time at any distillery...:)

Is the trip reasonable with the time we have, and are the destinations good choices for this purpose - exploring beautful sceneries?

And then I have a silly question about B&B:s vs. hotels. I know that B&B:s are about getting a personal stay and so on, and that many people loves that. But I kind of like the feeling of staying at a good hotel, and I don't want my stay to be too personal, even if that maybe sounds really boring to some of you. I don't like feeling like I'm at home when I'm on vacation, if you know what I mean? So, I guess my question is if you think B&B:s are too personal for me, or if they would be a good choice even for a weird person like me? ;)

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

A car in Edinburgh is going to be a liability - I was born and brought up in Edinburgh but I now take the train to get into the city centre and rarely drive. There a lot of roadworks as they put in place a new tram system so it is a double nightmare at the moment. If you must have a car stay on the outskirts and use public transport to get into the centre.

Other than that your plan is do-able in a week.

B&B's tend to be in peoples own homes so yes you are going to get a more personal experience so I would guess that a hotel would be the way to go. There are loads of smaller hotels in Scotland so you can kind of get the best of both worlds with them.

glasgow
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

hi ripley

your trip sounds good to me ,that route seems good,i also would rather stay in hotel than b&b even if its a bit more expensive,but just watch out at loch ness for the monster and go to culloden moor its creepy the birds don't sing the site of the battle of culloden 1746,when the clans were defeated by the english

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

I think you will be spending a lot of your holiday in the car with that itinerary. You should think about what your priorities are and base your holiday round that. You could spend 2 days in Glasgow - great museums (Kelvingrove a must, fabulous restaurants, cafes if possible stay in the West End/ Byres Road where it is quite cosmopolitan and near the Uni - go to Kember & Jones for breakfast/ lunch) and a day trip to Edinburgh (40mins by train). If you want more outdoor activities then there are lots of places closer to Glasgow than Skye (which is a beautiful place but bigger and bleaker than you might think) - what about the Isle of Arran - ferry goes from Ardrossan 40 minutes from Glasgow?

Once you have the flavour of Scotland with this trip you can come back next year and explore the highlands.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Level Contributor
65 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

Hi, I agree with a couple of the other posters that you seem to be trying to take in too much for a week. I would recommend that you either do Glasgow & Edinburgh and travel by train, or do your Highland Tour by car.

If you decide on the former, visiting Arran is a good idea, but it is very expensive to take a car over on the ferry, and you would be better to travel by train to Ardrossan and by bus on the island. However, if you do decide to take a car you will have to book in advance for most ferries in July.

If you choose the later and really want to go for it, I would suggest something similar to the following: Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Oban (overnight) - Fort William - Plockton (overnight) - Skye (overnight) - Loch Ness - Inverness (overnight) - Perth (overnight) - Glasgow.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

Thanks for the replies! Not sure yet how we will do, but it surely feels easier to plan the trip now thanks to your help!

6. Re: Scotland, one week in July - Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 03:19