We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency for Scotland and Ireland

Calgary
12 posts
Save Topic
Currency for Scotland and Ireland

I apologise if this topic has already been discussed.

I am visiting Scotland and Ireland in June and wish to know what is the best currency to bring along. I want to have some on hand for our arrival, and then I'll use ATM's after that.

So - Great Britain Pound ? Euro ? Does Scotland have their own currency ? Does Ireland ?

Thanks very much.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

In N. Ireland its GBP (Sterling) as in Scotland but Scotland does have its own £5/£10/£20 etc. notes which are legal currency in England as well - though sometimes the English shopkeepers look at you strangely when you try to use them! We also still have £1 notes in circulation in Scotland although they are not used as much as £1 coins.

Eire (Southern Ireland) uses the Euro. I think some places in the UK do accept the Euro but its not our currency.

Hope you enjoy your trip

Regards

Calgary
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

Thank you very much. I guess the best thing would be to bring a bit of both, then.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

English Pounds for Scotland and Northern Ireland, Euros for Republic of Ireland. Euros are not accepted in the UK except in a very small minority of shops.

Scotland has banknotes issued by three banks, Clydesdale, Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland and these are not legal tender anywhere except Scotland although you may get away with spending them in London and one or two other large cities. To confuse matters, the Bank of Scotland actually issue two series of banknotes.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

Apart from £1 notes, which are only useable in Scotland, English and Scottish banknotes are freely interchangeable throughout the UK. I travel a lot between England and Scotland and it's years since anyone in England refused to accept a Scottish note from me.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

Northern Irish banks also issue their own notes.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,847 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

<<< and these are not legal tender anywhere except Scotland >>>

Scottish banknotes are not even legal tender in Scotland - nor are Bank of England banknotes.

But everyone accepts them.

Just get rid of the Scottish ones before you leave the UK as they are a PITA to exchange once outside of the UK and can be difficult to use in parts of the UK outside Scotland (never accept Scottish £50 or £100 notes - you won't be able to change them outside Scotland without major hassle anywhere)

It's reported to be so bad that ATMs at Glasgow Airport only issue BoE notes now

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

Hi StormyH

I was trying to think of a joking comment re your question but decided on answering it simply on the assumption you will be driving or be driven.

anywhere where the road Numbers begin with an A or B

it is GBP where they are designated N or R it is the euro.

You will unfortunately have to guess if your on an M road they are increasing in all countries.

M roads being the two to three lane express roads in either direction for faster travel but lots less scenery.

enjoy your holiday particularly with the exchange rate at the moment.

Ray.sunshine

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

????????

Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

Just a note on Scottish banknotes. I live in Australia and my kids regularly get money sent out to them. I have no problems getting them exchanged here in the banks here in Sydney

Cheers

I do remember as a child having problems with them in England

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency for Scotland and Ireland

And whatever you do, please do not bring Travellers Cheques because they will be more trouble to you than thay are worth.