We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

upstate NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

Hi, here is my itinerary, is it OK? I have reservations at B&Bs in all these places. We have 5 people, a rented van, and plenty of optimism!

Also, we get in at 10 AM on Saturday Day 2, should we visit Rosslyn Chapel and Edinburgh crystal that day or wait until Mon Day 4?

Day 1

Travel Day

Day 2 and 3

Bo'ness

On Day 3

Drive short distance to Linlithgow,

park, take 20 min. train to Edinburgh, see the city, then take train back and stay the second night

Day 4

Bo'ness to Pitlochry

70 miles 1 hr 30 minutes

possibly via Rosslyn Chapel and Edinburgh crystal

(btw this is just wrong on many levels!!!!: https:/…Haggis_Whistle.html )

Day 5

Pitlochry-Drumnadrochit

101 miles 2 hrs 16 minutes

sightseeing around the Cairngorms that day

Day 6

Drumnadrochit to Broadford, Isle of Skye

73 miles 1 hr 30 min

Day 7

Isle of Skye 2nd night Broadford

Day 8

Broadford , Isle of Skye to Oban

127 miles 3 hours 7 minutes

Day 9

Oban

get either a 7:30 or 9:30 ferry tour to Mull/Iona/Staffa "Three Isles Excursion"

Day 10

Oban to Bo'ness 104 miles 2 hrs 21 min

See Falkirk Wheel on the way.

Day 11

Return flights

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

Do you have family or friends in Bo'ness- it seems an odd place to choose otherwise, not very pretty and not much to see although fairly central to get around. Maybe take a day trip to Stirling and see the Castle? There is also a "castle" Linlithgow Palace in Linlithgow itself which is well worth a visit.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

My only thoughts are that you are better to do Rosslyn & Edinburgh Crystal on day 2 as doing them on day 4 doesn't flow right....better to go straight to Pitlochry from Bo'ness - pop into Dunkeld for a visit en route - lovely little place.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

Or you could skip Edinburgh Crystal and visit Caithness Crystal in Crieff.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

OOH, I had not heard of Caithness Glass so thank you Good Witch! It's right on the way!

The reason we're going to Bo'ness basically because it's so close to the train to Edinburgh and mostly because was the ONLY well-reviewed place and around 40 or so pounds per person per night I could find east west north or south of Edinburgh that did not require a three-day stay in late August. I wanted to book 3 nights but not consecutive--two the first 2 nights and one the last night of our trip. After I booked LAST NOVEMBER at the place we're in NEXT AUGUST, I did hear from one other place whose proprietor said "I am so sorry but we are fully booked when you want to come - and we haven't dictated to our guests that they have to stay for 3 nights. I am disgusted with the people in this area who one day hopefully will be taught a lesson when people stop taking their holidays in the Edinburgh area. They are so greedy and they double their price for special events, like the Edinburgh Festival, the Rugby matches and Hogmanay. Sorry I should get down from my 'high horse' as my mother would say but I get upset when people are treated in this way." Honestly it is true, our 5-person party was about to give up on visiting Edinburgh at all due to the 3-night business. But then the Bo'ness place turned up. I don't want to start a flame war about B&B owners, but you asked, and that's why.

I would appreciate any other suggestions about where to go!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

Fofoma lives near Crieff so may be able to tell you more about Caithness Crystal. I've not been since they relocated.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
157 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

Just a suggestion:

We were able to get a single night stay at a guest house in late August in Dunfermline... near train, near Edinburgh, ... Dunfermline Abbey there and burial place of Robert the Bruce.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

Mistress Quickly being in the trade will be able to eloquently tell you her side of the B&B story - it isn't just B&B owners who indulge in this practice remember but airlines, holiday companies and hotels. This industry has always had a seasonal element - it penalises people who have to travel at peak times such as school holidays and benefits those who can travel outwith these times.

I'm not in any way shape or form saying that it is right - it is just the nature of the beast.

As to Caithness Glass -I haven't visited since they relocated from Perth so can't give you much insight.

However across the road is the Stuart Crystal shop as well so you have two outlets at the same location.

You can then follow the tourist route to Pitlochry which is far nicer that heading up the A9 - look for the brown route signs - head out of Crieff towards Perth on A85 and turn left at Gilmerton up through the Sma' Glen this takes you out on to the A9 just at Dunkeld.

Another place worth visiting in Crieff are Drummond Castle Gardens (scenes of Rob Roy was filmed here)

http://www.drummondcastlegardens.co.uk/

8. Re: 11 Day Aug itinerary-- do-able?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 03:19