We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Area

Southern California
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Area

We are on a cruise ship that docks outside Edinburgh on May 19th and only have a day in the area. With the limited time, I would really rather visit a smaller town on the coast side of the city that is not over run with tourists, somewhere a person could roam around and relax in a local pub. We are not formal tour travelers. Any recommendations and/or transportation information would be appreciated. Thanks

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Area

Places to consider are South Queensferry, Cramond( actually a suburb of Edinburgh but with a village feel), North Berwick or Dunbar.

May will not be overrun with tourists and as it is a Monday - most locals will be at work.

Stockbridge is an interesting part of Edinburgh with a village feel - it is close to the Botanic Gardens which will be full of Spring colour at the moment.

Climb up to the top of the rock garden within the Botanics for a wonderful view of the city and the castle.

You can start to walk a section of the Water of Leith walkway in Stockbridge and come out at Dean Village - you will forget you are in a city at all.

www.waterofleith.org.uk/river/river.shtm

Southern California
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Area

That gets me started. I certainly appreciate it. North Berwick looks rather interesting. Actually, it all looks beautiful and interesting. Would it be hard to get a bus or taxi or other form of transportation to investigate some of these locations?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,857 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Area

Which docks - Leith, Rosyth or will you be mooring off South Queentferry?

Leith is actually part of Edinburgh and it's easy to get to the Botanic Gardens mentioned earlier

You could go into the centre of Edinburgh (22 bus, £1.20 per person, £2.50 for a day ticket) and get a train to somewhere like North Berwick.

Alternatively - and if there are any golf / royal geeks in your group you could get a train to Leuchars thena bus to St Andrews

Rosyth would put you on the same side of the Firth of Forth as St Andrews so you could go there by getting to Inverkeithing and taking the train

See www.lothianbuses.com & www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/

But in the mean time could you tell us which ship & give us a link to the itinerary

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Area

North Berwick is an easy trip from Edinburgh - 1 train per hour taking 32 minutes, day return £5.30. There's no need to book in advance, simply buy ticket from ticket office or ticket machine at station just prior to outward travel. A taxi would be a lot more expensive and, given traffic in the Edinburgh area, likely slower. Train times and fares: http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/index.php

Southern California
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Area

Thanks for the links. I can't seem to find the exact port on the celebrity website but previous dockings of the century have been at Hawes Pier at South Queensferry. I think the intinerary link is too long for this post.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,857 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Area

This one?

celebritycruisedestinations.com/europe-offer…

If so then you only have - AT MOST - 10 hours. This may be reduced due to the time needed to disembark / re-embark.

Southern California
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Area

That's it. Thanks. Mine had about 15, 000 characters in the link.

8. Re: Edinburgh Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 07:20