We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

Hi guys,

I'm not even sure where to start:

Weather: It looks like rain is forecasted most of our trip.. dumb question: is it "cold" rain? and does it start/stop throughout the day?

We're staying @ Budget Backpackers across the castle. Any advice on VERY INEXPENSIVE places to eat? We're really trying to keep costs down.. I read possibly cheap places near university? help!!

Transportation: From airport to Weaverley bridge by bus- anyone have a bus # we should take? and how do we get to budget backpackers from there?

Any other ideas to keep costs down or info on good pubs would be appreciated. THANKS!!!! :)

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

Oh dear Mrs Dale - is no-one replying to you? I can't help much but I can tell you that it has turned a wee bit colder in the last week. The rain should be showers/heavy showers as opposed to prolonged downpours and compared to California - yes it will feel cold!

Just had a look at the Airlink website

www.flybybus.com

and it says every 10 minutes from Stand 19 just outside the UK arrivals hall. The open return is £5 per adult and £3 per child and can be bought on the bus or at the Airlink kiosk at stand 19 or from the driver.

You are within walking distance from Waverley Bridge where the bus stops to your destination if its the Budget Backpackers in Cowgate.( a good 10 -15 minute hike?)I would just ask someone there for directions. looking at the map I could give you some but maybe better to ask when you arrive at the centre.

There are loads of really inexpensive places to eat in Edinburgh and again, I would imagine that they will happily direct you to places from your hostel where other backpackers on a budget have found inexpensive food.You will often find set menus which offer good value for money, especially at lunch times and pubs are a good bet too. There are SO many to choose from.

Have a lovely holiday. Sorry I can't be more help but I hope that someone with more knowledge will reply to you before you leave for the UK.

You will love Edinburgh and there are loads of great things to do(some of them free!)like museums and galleries.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

just checked the weather forecast for next 10 days, looks like only one poss rainy day during your stay

temperatures in the 50s low 60s daytime & low 50s at night.

www.weather.com - go to edinburgh, united kingdom, 10 day forecast

Bring layers, fleeces, long sleeved t-shirts but be prepared for sunshine as well.

As to cheap places to eat - sorry can't help with restaurant recommendations, but you could have an inexpensive lunch by going to a grocery store, buying a loaf of bread/baguette and some cold cuts/bag of salad and some fruit and sit in the many open spaces in Edinburgh and enjoy.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

"just checked the weather forecast for next 10 days, looks like only one poss rainy day during your stay"

Yeh, our 10 days weather forecasts are known for their pin point accuracy - Not. :-)

Anything is possible, from frost to 80 deg F, from dry to downpours every day. Dress accordingly :-)

england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

There is a Sainsbury's local behind Princes St - great for picking up a little something or a fabulous ready meal, if you have access to a microwave.

You'll need a few stops to warm up - take a thermos of tea with you for on the go refueulling!

CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

Thanks to all for your wonderful advice!! I'm glad there's so many experienced travelers willing to share!!!

:D

6. Re: arriving 5/24, to 5/31/08- weather, Budget Backpackers, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 00:19